1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shortest stint at a paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Mar 13, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You think maybe he was killing them?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Wow. Just ... wow.

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

At Paper G, there's a story about the guy who was hired and on his first day, went home sick after an hour.

He called in sick on day 2. And on day 3.

And on day 4, he faxed in sick.

And that was the end of him.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's almost one sports editor a month and one ME every two months.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

A month at a weekly. The job was cool, but I was a broadcasting major and wanted to work in radio. Then I got a radio job and didn't work at a paper for six years.

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I'm interviewing for a job on Thursday, and a buddy of mine tells me the only thing that really gives them concern is the fact that I've had five jobs in the last six years.

I think I'll just print out Monday Morning Sportswriter's job history and use it as a comparison. ;D

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Or feel free to use me as a reference. :)

8. Taylee

Taylee Member

Three minutes.
    About 10 years ago, hired a guy from our competitor. Meet him in the front office, start toward HR for paper work and he says he needs to talk with me. Go to my office and he says he wants a quarter more an hour. Quarter was no problem; timing was. When offer was made, he said it was more than expected and appreciated it. Don't know where this new attitude came from, but I wanted no part of it. Walked him out the front door and told him he wasn't working here.
    He was here from 10 a.m. to 10:03 a.m.
    Hired No. 2 guy and he's been here ever since.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

We have a new leader in the clubhouse.

10. Keystone

Keystone Member

My first SE job at a small daily in NC -- 7 months.
    My second SE job, at a slightly larger daily in NC -- 9 months.

The first job wasn't a bad one, 11K daily near the coast. Very laid back boss, who would also go to the mat for me a couple of times. Very good staff of two and I got along with both of them.
    My fiancee was back in VA and she eventually moved in with me, quitting her copy editing job at our former paper. Her job search landed her at another daily about 50 miles away, though she was interviewed at the daily in the neighboring county. Unfortunately, the former paper interviewed her "for any future openings we might have," according to a-hole ME there. But the latter one offered the job as city editor. Great. And to go along with that, that paper just happened to be looking for an SE, so... ::)

The second job was at a 23K daily further back from the coast, but still a fairly quick drive to the beach. Great staff. Both guys were a pleasure to work with. Also got to cover ACC hoops and the Hurricanes in their first season in Raleigh. Preps weren't too bad, either.
    However, my new wife wasn't happy. They pretty much treated her like crap. The old farts on the cityside reporting staff were coasting to retirement and pretty much refused any assignment my much-younger wife gave to them. ME was pretty old-school himself and would pretty much pat her on the head and ignore any suggestions she gave him. She hated it there.

I ended up finding a different job first -- my third SE stint. This time just across the border in VA. Spent two years straightning things up before heading North to my current job.

Been at present job going on five years.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I spent a little over 4 months at one paper and a little over 4 months at the next paper, back-to-back. That was 7 years ago. You'd think at that rate, I'd be at the Plain Dealer by now. But the next paper I went to, I've been at for more than 6 years now, so go figure.

The first paper reneged on a position I was promised when I was hired. The second paper was a sweatshop and a dead-end gig that looked better from the outside. The one I'm at now is pretty low-pressure and lets us run our own shop. Plus I have alternate revenue streams.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you cook meth, too?

Draft saved Draft deleted