1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shopping Horror Stories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You didn't say on top of your wrist and no where else.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

Well, here's one (and yeah, it's a shameless plug): The astonauts on the space station are issued special watches designed for use in zero gravity, made by Omega. They run about $3,000. Well, during Expedition Six, the mission that I write about in my book, two of the three astronauts had their watches just fall apart. Don Pettit, the science officer, ended up making a video of himself fixing his. You should be able to find it online. But I mean, if you can't trust a $3,000 Omega not to pack it in, what chance do you stand with a Casio?

From personal experience... My wife and I bought a big-screen TV... First, we picked up an LG. Picture was never right, very digital. In fact, it was a piece of shit and we returned it. Then we got a Sony Wega. About a month outside of the one-year warranty, the bulb in it went. We were told that it should last between five to ten years, depending on how much TV we watch. We don't watch much, and it lasted 13 months, and it cost $300 to fix.

We also hate our new dishwasher, a GE. We had one about ten years older that did a much better job of cleaning dishes. The new one looks good, but the shit's always dirty coming out of this thing.

Appliances suck these days.

3. KP

KP Active Member

Good luck trying to get that CD wrapper off without 1 f-bomb being dropped.

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I hear you on the dishwasher. We're renting, and the dishwasher is a piece of shit. The lease even mentions that you should clean all of the food off the dishes before you put them in. Um, isn't that the whole idea of putting them in the dishwasher?

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Like was mentioned earlier, I won't wear metal-band watches, not because of an allergic reaction but because I don't like the heaviness on my wrist. Besides, the leather bands allow the watch to move easier, since I keep it cinched somewhat loosely. But I stand by my complaint about the "water-resistant" claim.
    I think the only reason I still wear a watch is for appearance (I don't like the look of my wrist without a watch on it). It certainly can't be to keep accurate time since every clock in my house, my cell phone, my car clock and my computer all have different times. I have to leave five minutes early for everything just to make sure I get there on time.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

True. The motherboard on my Kenmore washer failed about two months after I bought it from Sears. I have also gone through four cable boxes since I signed up for digital last year. The cable guy blamed it on solar flares that he said nuked an entire warehouse of boxes. There's an anecdote for you.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Come to my house, built in 2000 by a notoriously-cheap Crossmann builder in Central Indiana who changed its name Beazer to save its reputation, but is still a notoriously cheap builder who shall Crossmann go nameless.

I could show you the numerous concave walls in the bathrooms, but the spot where the drywall has completely pulled away from the window casing due to water damage is something else.

Draft saved Draft deleted