1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shootout, Hostages In Binghamton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 3, 2009.

1. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7982444.stm

List does not include Northern Illinois University, North Carolina nursing home, St. Louis mall shootings. . .

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

or the Unitarian Church incident...

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems like there have been a half-dozen mass killings this year, families, police officers, co-workers, nursing homes. Don't know what is going on, but it is messed up.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A close friend of my best friend lives about a block away from the shooting. No one has been able to reach him. She can't think of any reason he would have been in the building, but we're all very worried.

5. Notepad

Notepad Member

Um, the economy might have something to do with people losing their fucking minds. More than likely not in this case today, but in some of the others, certainly.

6. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

It was a St. Louis city council meeting and Omaha mall shootings, which was the first big shooting after Virginia Tech, in Dec. 2007.

7. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

My mistake, but it just adds another to the list. I was thinking of Kansas City.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/29/mall.shooter/index.html

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

At 2 p.m., the mayor and Binghamton Police chief scheduled a press conference at 4:30 p.m. to discuss those topics, I'm sure. I haven't gotten any updates since. When I do, I'll relay them.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Also, there was a gunman who fled, and he was running up the Court Street Bridge, which is a fairly condensed section of Binghamton, but I didn't hear anything else. The FBI was called in, and several police forces, from neighboring towns and Pennsylvania, were called in to assist. There was a helicopter circling the area, looking for the gunman.

10. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

According to the most recent story, lone gunman, dead at the scene. There was a story earlier that those reports of a fleeing gunman up the Court Street bridge were false.

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20090403/COMMUN05/90403027

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I just saw that on MSNBC, though that reporter totally whiffed on Bob Joseph's ... everything.

12. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

Press conference is over. 14 confirmed dead, 37 got out of the building, four were shot and are in critical condition. Binghamton Police Chief wouldn't confirm, 100 percent, that the gunman was dead but it's believed he is.

Draft saved Draft deleted