1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shootout, Hostages In Binghamton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Very sad. Very weird.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,512441,00.html

Is it me, or are we getting about one of these a week now?

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

The Binghamton paper; has lots of good coverage.
    http://www.pressconnects.com/

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

At least. It seems like more.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

At least 12 dead, on MSNBC.

Amazed this hasn't happened in a newsroom yet.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

CNN just said 26 people are reported hiding in a boiler room, another 15 in a closet.

I really hope somewhere in that building there isn't a TV showing CNN.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

From the Press and Sun-Bulletin newspaper:

Two people were taken from the American Civic Association with their hands cuffed behind their back. At least four people were shot and dozens of others were being held hostage by a gunman in the Binghamton building.

At least five people have been taken to Wilson Regional Medical Center in Johnson City, one in critical condition, two listed as serious. Another person was taken to Lourdes Hospital in Johnson City.

Both hospitals postponed all elective surgeries and called in extra personnel to staff their emergency rooms.

According to police reports, more than 40 hostages were in the building — 15 in a closet and 26 in the boiler room. Sharp shooters from the Binghamton SWAT team were poised outside the building at 131 Front Street. The Endicott police bomb squad is also at the scene.

Scanner reports just before 1:30 p.m. indicate that police were asking 26 people in the Civic Association to lie on the floor with the hands above their heads.

One woman who worked as a secretary reportedly was shot in the stomach.

Family members of the hostages and victims were being told to gather at 232 Main St. in Binghamton, while more ambulance crews were on standby.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

There's a TV in my office, but I don't want to turn it on. Sad.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

CNN reporting up to 12 could be killed. Holy shit.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Boy, when you think of whether the shooter has a celphone with web access, this comes pretty close to being irresponsible.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It doesn't come close, it is.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Shit, yeah.

If dude has an iPhone, he most definitely could be watching the local news.

Hell, most any old cell phone can access the web in some way, and I'm guessing this is all over every major news source, so he could easily know this information.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The 1972 Munich Olympics wonder how news organizations haven't learned this lesson.

Draft saved Draft deleted