1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shootings reported at 2 Jewish-related centers near Kansas City

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 13, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

One person is in custody following multiple shootings reported at the Jewish Community Center in Overland Park and Village Shalom in Leawood.

Overland Park Police confirm multiple shots were fired at the center, which is located at 5801 W 115th St.Kan. and Village Shalom, a retirement home located at 5500 W. 123rd in Leawood. Both areas are currently on lockdown.

At least one person is dead, and another in critical condition following the shooting at JCC.

Police took one man into custody at the Valley Park Elementary at 123rd and Nall.

A 41 Action News photographer on the scene spoke with a man who says another man pointed a gun at him and shot the windows out of his car. That person was not injured.

Police have not confirmed if there are any other victims, or the status of the gunman. But our photographer says he saw someone being taken away in an ambulance.

nbcnews.to/1ifEW2j

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Now, let's not jump to any conclusions. We don't know that antisemitism was a motive.

I mean, we still don't know what Maj. Hassan's motive was when he shot his fellow soldiers at Ft. Hood. Sure, he shouted Allahu Akbar, but that was just workplace violence.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow. Two posts in and you are already hard at work building that straw man.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hell, he started the thread just to do so.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Damn.

Not only my hometown but my neighborhood. Heartbroken to be following this.

6. outofplace

True. Most of us knew what to expect just from reading the thread title and seeing who started it.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fox station in KC reporting shooter yelled out "Heil Hitler" when caught.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, this definitely isn't news. We should just ignore it…

9. outofplace

Yet another straw man. Thank you for taking as farther into the depths.

Nobody said it shouldn't be discussed. We were just both pointing out the agenda YF is pushing.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What is this agenda that YF is pushing? Perhaps to actually
    discuss newsworthy stories?

11. outofplace

This kind of thing is very disturbing. Always makes me think of Richard Baumhammers' shooting spree in Pittsburgh in 2000. He murdered five people, all minorities, crippled another and fired shots at the outside of two synagogues. Still amazing that he didn't kill even more people. The first victim's sister was a family friend. She told us some details that were never public and is still chilling to think of it. The woman was his parents' next-door neighbor and had been their friend for over 30 years, but he gunned her down, apparently for being Jewish.

12. outofplace

Read the second post, Boom. Of course, I'm betting you already knew that.

Draft saved Draft deleted