1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

shootings in KC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl2, Apr 29, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

My high school sweetheart and I took in several movies at Ward Parkway. It is a decent area.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Found out last night I know someone whose mother works at that shopping center. She was off yesterday, thankfully.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Not dead ... not too alive either.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The answer: Pack heat, IJAG.

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

close thread

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Turns out my mom and brother were at that mall the day before, to see some other real estate people who work there. That office was right near where the shootings happened, so we're all thankful they're OK.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

What I found interesting about this is that it said most newspapers in the country kept this on their front page until Lindbergh's flight a week later. Which is really no different than what CNN did with the virginia tech shootings. My question is, was anyone boohooing and bitching in letters to the editors back then that they were covering it too much?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't answer that question on the road (newspaperarchive.com could.) But from having read my share of papers from that era, i can tell you there was much reader griping about the good ol days -- the Gay Nineties! -- when things were smaller/safer/calmer/insert euphemism for "better" here, in the opinion pages. But people were arguably more jaded then, in the wake of the War To End All Wars, that this bombing might be akin to a bribe-taking politician in 1976, before the shock of Watergate wore off. A big deal, but we just saw way worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted