1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

shootings in KC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl2, Apr 29, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Apparently two incidents, four dead, including a shooter. They don't know if they're related, but the second one was at a shopping center.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18384740/

I don't know that I feel comfortable anywhere anymore.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You have a better chance getting killed on the highway then you do by one of these asshats. And I dealt with the DC sniper and the idiots trying to track him down. (I'm still looking for a white guy in a box delivery truck).

That said, we do need tougher gun laws.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, isn't the highway anywhere?

I just meant usually in a car, you know anything can happen. But once you're inside a store or a classroom, you used to feel safe. Now, you just never know.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You do not want to live in fear.

Go back to the archives of a paper and you will see people were just as fucking crazy 50 years ago as they are today.

We just have the internet to tell us quicker now.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo. And a lot more attention whores nowadays, too.

But there was never a time when we were "safe". It wasn't a shooting, but the worst school-related tragedy didn't come last week or in 1999. It was 1927 -- <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster">in Bath, Michigan</a>.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

Disturbing. It shows that there are always physcos out there and any of us could be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Doesn't this happen once a week at Bannister Mall in KC? Or am I too far removed from my childhood?

8. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Shaggy, I don'r recall this happening on a regular basis at Bannister, but the Bannister Mall that we would remember ceased to exist a good four or five years ago, at least. My parents tell me that the property still has a few tenants but it's got a date with the wrecking ball in the not-too-distant future. Of course, Ward Parkway itself hardly resembles the mall I knew and frequented as a teenager as well.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Saw "The Show" and "Dead Man Walking" among other movies at the Ward Parkway Mall years ago. I have a friend who lives literally across the street from this mall, in a quiet neighborhood. Sad to hear this news.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Shaggy, I don'r recall this happening on a regular basis at Bannister, but the Bannister Mall that we would remember ceased to exist a good four or five years ago, at least. My parents tell me that the property still has a few tenants but it's got a date with the wrecking ball in the not-too-distant future. Of course, Ward Parkway itself hardly resembles the mall I knew and frequented as a teenager as well.
    [/quote]

Ditto for Metro North. That sort of thing couldn't happen there, because the place is desolate anymore.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Is Metcalf South in Overland Park the same way these days? I don't remember it being a hot spot 10 years ago, I can only imagine what it's like now.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Are you still more likely to be killed by someone you know than someone you don't know?

Draft saved Draft deleted