1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting From The Bowels of The Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I guess Lupica no longer gets preferential seating.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Saw a couple tweets from Doyel and others that Luppy threw a shitfit about his seat.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Big time sportswriters. They're just like us.

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Well, if he'd attend a few more games instead of pontificating on ESPN and radio, he might've gotten a better seat ...

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Saw that too and was immediately reminded of Richie Pace.

"I don't do second row."

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Somehow, John Feinstein has a weekend morning show; he devoted a half-hour yesterday to a play-by-play of his meeting with NCAA executives to complain about the lack of press seating at the Final Four.

7. Armchair_QB

Feinstein is right that they've cut back on courtside seating but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. They get the crowd closer to the floor and there's still plenty of non-courtside media seating.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Generally,what is the priority for media seating at a Final Four. I'm guessing AP and the four primary beat writers for the respective teams home papers, but then who?

9. Armchair_QB

Team website beat writers are included in that group too.

After that I think it's local-to-site media (AJC in this case), national college basketball media - print and web. I think a USBWA rep gets a seat as well. TV reporters don't get courtside anymore I don't believe.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A good courtside TV reporter shouldn't be sitting. I know I never did.

11. Armchair_QB

Sorry, didn't mean sideline reporter. Meant the locals sports guys covering the teams.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I went in 2010, just as a local reporter whose paper happened to be close to the site, and I was pleasantly shocked when I was seated on the floor on the timeline in the front row. I got more camera time than America ever needed.

But those days are gone. The NCAA made a big deal of removing most of those rows of seats. Went to Indy for the regional this year and all but the local media for the teams, a few national guys, and the Indy Star/TV stations were upstairs in the corner at the loge level.

The problem wasn't just the distance to the floor (which wasn't great, but was livable), it was the the relative lack of terracing between the media rows. I couldn't see shit because the dude in front of me blocked my vantage point. I gave up at one of the media timeouts and watched downstairs on a monitor in the media room.

At the domes, there's really no excuse for not having the media on the floor. Three rows-per-sideline are overkill, but the three rows on one side really hurts no one. Just put the media with their backs to the camera side and put the fans closer to the floor on the side facing the TV cameras.

Draft saved Draft deleted