1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting Cardinals-Phillies game Sunday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KurtWarner13, Jun 21, 2007.

1. KurtWarner13

KurtWarner13 New Member

Hey guys, I'm shooting my first Major League Baseball game this weekend. Does anyone have any advice for me? I shot several Tennessee Titans' games last year, so some of what I'm wondering is what the difference is between shooting MLB and NFL?

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

whatever you do, don't block the view of the best fans in baseball.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Focus your lens on second base. That's where all the action takes place.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

also, be sure to get the shot of the pitcher after a home run, with the guy circling behind him in the background. That shot is sublime.

Ok, I'm out of sarcastic responses, and I don't know shit about photography. Good luck on Sunday.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The first thing, and I'm really not trying to be a wiseass, is that the baseball players' faces are much more visible because they don't wear football helmets. Work with that.

6. fishwrapper

Oh, can you be sure to move each starting pitcher, in full wind up, early?

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Get a runner at third base, take advantage of it. Focus in on home plate and hope for a play. If you have auto-advance, shoot a full series of exposures on a play to get the right angle.

8. fishwrapper

Hey! That's real advice! ;)

9. fishwrapper

True story:
    I once had a photographer show up to a World Series game in the fifth inning.
    He left his equipment in the trunk of his rental car in front of the old Washington Square Bar and Grill (Washbag, for those who knew it back in the day) in San Francisco. City towed it.
    He finally gets to the game, and in the seventh inning, gets the most amazing shot of JT Snow saving Dusty Baker's son at home plate.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Also, in between innings, fish (no pun intended) in the dugouts.
    Might get some good interaction between players, coaches, etc.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The regular photogs always have their spots. Make sure you're not in one of them. They're very territorial.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Will they mark their territory by peeing on him?

Draft saved Draft deleted