1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at Va. Tech

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl2, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Another shooting at Va. Tech

I think there's bigger concerns right now than the news placement of Nifong and Imus. But maybe that's just me.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

CNN anchors: We don't need you to say "I want you to" look and listen to this cell-phone video. Just play it. That's all the cue we need. We also don't need you to tell us how many hits it's had online so far, nor how amazing it is.

Just do your job, and please try to do it better and more respectfully.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

True, but it is the way this industry works. Did you ever wonder what happened to Chandra Levy? Sept. 11th happened. Sorry. I think like a journalist sometimes too much. Not defending that. I'm just saying that.

Trust me when I say that I know a lot about public education, and that I am very interested to see how these shooters or shooter were able to move around the campus. 21 dead. Lord. Do you know how many rounds are needed to kill 21 people? The best shots in the world could not do it in under 50 unless they were all within 10 feet of the people when it happened.

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Holy cow. There's a special place in hell for the shooter. I hope he's skewered and BBQed for forever.

Wow. Thoughts and prayers aplenty.

----

As an aside, I'm really disappointed in the Richmond Times-Dispatch online presentation. I mean, 22 students KILLED and their web site still has a banner across the top touting Mother's Day and Performing Arts, etc. What the heck? What other bigger news story is going to happen in that area? This should be BLOWN out like nothing else. The Virginia Pilot online at least has given it the play it deserves.

5. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Just heard about this for the first time on Dan Patrick a few minutes ago. Said the guy was hunting down his ex-girlfriend or something. Not sure where he got it from. I haven't read the news reports yet.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The shooters always die. Usually by their own hand. Cowards.

7. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

WTF?! 22 people are murdered and that's your prayer?

8. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

the shooter was using 2 9mm handguns

9. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

abcnews.com is now saying 25 dead, number expected to rise

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The bigger issue here is that emergency communications in this country are still the clusterfuck that they were before 9-11. You have police on one radio frequency, campus police on another frequency, EMS on another frequency, and here come the State Troopers on a digital frequency and, oh by the way, could someone please call th University president's office and let them know what the hell's going on?

11. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

I went on a message board...and got this from a VT student....

"i am so outraged right now i cant even believe it. none of us in the building thought it was going to get this escalated. i am just so mad. the university could have ended this all except for the first killing.

i got an email at 9:22 am saying there was a shooter who killed someone in the dorm in the morning. they should have cancelled classes then, instead they let kids go to class, and now over 20 are dead. they refuse to cancel classes until its too late."

12. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I hate to bring politics into this, but this seems like the quintessential example of why people don't need handguns readily available. You're not going to hunt deer with a 9mm.

Draft saved Draft deleted