1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at Va. Tech

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl2, Apr 16, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I would have to say that I would take considerably more care reporting news than, say, posting on a message board.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You didn't post a web site and a journal of a kid before any name of a suspect had been mentioned.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://www.planetblacksburg.com/about/

As an aside, I see the faculty advisor for this site is Roland Lazenby, who has written what seems like a million books about sports, particularly about the Lakers.

If you look at this site, Roland, know that our thoughts are with you and your students in this very trying time.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Lugz, I think the only reason for them thanking God about the paperwork meant if not, a whole different backlash about illegal aliens would have started pretty quick.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The post was made on black-rifles.com, a place I assume is where gun owners and gun-shop owners talk shop. I would imagine if they read some of the stuff posted on a journalism board about yesterday, they'd be equally taken aback. Sounds like he was relieved he didn't make a procedural or legal mistake in selling the gun 35 days earlier, and he shared that with people from his world.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Re: shutting down school after a murder of a student on campus

It happened at 7:15 a.m., before administration had even showed up for work. Does the campus police chief, who also probably wasn't at work yet, have a magic button to cancel classes which might have already started?

I'm not disagreeing that classes shouldn't have been cancelled. But how do you do that? How do you immediately notify 26,000 students, thousands or staff, thousands of visitors and the rest of the campus community to stop what they are doing and hide? Does VaTech -- or any other college with more than a hundred campus buildings and several hundred off-campus apartments, stores and houses -- have an intercom system with a speaker in every room, iPod headphone and video screen to alert everyone possibly impacted?

Say the first murder happened in downtown Roanoke instead of campus -- because, IMO, there is not a big difference. Can you lock down a 5-mile section of city?

I do not believe the VaTech police or admin handled this perfectly or ideally, but ...

For those of you in favor of an immediate lockdown and a cancellation of classes at 7:30 a.m.; how is that going to be done? I'm not trying to be confrontational or an apologist for the administration, but I sincerely want those up in arms over the police and admin response to this to tell me how a huge college campus would be locked down at this time of day and in this situation.

7. boots

boots New Member

Idy, the underestimated the situation. I know they have an emergency plan in place. They just didn't implement it until it was too late.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

boots, of course they underestimated the situation. No one estimates that a gunman is going to shoot 50-60 people.

How do you lock the campus down at 7:30 a.m.? How?

Does every door and window on campus come with metal bars that drop with a red flashing light when the campus cops push a button?

9. VT isn't a town. It's a campus. It may be the size of a town but because it's a university there are advantages in cases like this, such as a campus-wide communication system and the ability to secure all buildings. There was a two-hour gap. Something should have been done but nothing was done.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

In other words, he thanked God his own ass would be safe.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

IMO, you overestimate a college's ability to secure all buildings. There are more than 100 buildings on campus at VaTech and most certainly have several entrances, several floors and several wings. Does VaTech, and Roanoke city when helping out, have the manpower to secure several thousand individual rooms, doors, floors and buildings all at the same time?

12. boots

boots New Member

I don't know what the procedures are at Tech. I feel they could've shut the campus down by closing the roads leading into the campus. They should've secured the campus first, then begin their investigation. Most any cop will tell you that.

Draft saved Draft deleted