1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at Va. Tech

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl2, Apr 16, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Re: Another shooting at Va. Tech

Again, why wasn't this school under lock down after the first shooting. We're talking about two hours here folks. Two hours.

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Any news on motive?

3. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Yeah, you've said that three times now. It appears the school was under some sort of lock down. People were told to remain indoors, away from windows, etc.

But you're talking about a giant campus and tens of thousands of people. It's not like a high school.

4. boots

boots New Member

No shit. But the first order of business is to secure an area. It's apparent that didn't happen. That's disturbing.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So there were two shooters and one is dead? By his own hand or the cops?

6. boots

boots New Member

From what they're saying, it's as if there was only one shooter.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I lived in Pritchard when I was at Tech, which is right across the quad from A-J and just up the hill from Norris. This is just sickening.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fox is showing a picture of a cop apprehending a live suspect.

Don't know if this is one of the shooters or not (whether there were multiple ones is still in question).

We are very early in this thing. There are numerous details to come.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

They've got 26,000 students. Try communicating an urgent message to 26,000 students (plus faculty and staff) on a Monday morning at 7:30.

Mass e-mail? I work on a college campus. I might check my work e-mail Sunday afternoon/evening but certainly not an on average Monday morning before arriving to my office. Add in that students and faculty may go straight to class without checking e-mail to start the day ....

TV or radio? You think 26,000 students are watching TV/listening to the radio? (Consider how many people have an iPod).

Any other suggestions on getting the message out?

10. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

one station reported that the dead gunman shot himself, but cnn says that is still being investigated.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

BBAM ... they said on the local news that they were using some alert system that was in place for severe weather alerts across campus. It's a huge campus, though. These shootings all took place down in the area where most of the freshman dorms are.

12. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Well, you've said three times that there was no "lockdown."

This sounds like a lockdown. There's an inherent difficulty in notifying tens of thousands people, but it sounds like an attempt was at least made.

"A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows," read a warning from the university.

"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus," a statement on the university Web site said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html

Draft saved Draft deleted