1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at University of Texas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ADodgen, Sep 28, 2010.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That's the first thing I thought of, too. The first radio report I heard I kept listening for them to say "clock tower."

And here's the Harry Chapin song that event inspired.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You know where Charles Whitman learned to shoot?

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Sir! In the Marines, sir!

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Read a fantastic book about the Whitman shooting a few years back before my first trip to Austin. What a bizarre day for the people in that city in 1966.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, all this and they're going to lose back-to-back games as well.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Anybody remember the 1975 TV movie about Whitman starring Kurt Russell? Pretty mediocre. Always thought it deserved to be re-made as major Hollywood release.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

And they wouldn't let the producers use the UT tower, so they filmed that part on top of the Louisiana Capitol in Baton Rouge. Russell would be firing in what was obviously Baton Rouge (if you're familiar with it, and hitting people on the street in Austin.

Let's not forget Kinky Friedman's "There was a rumor about a tumor nestled in the base of his brain....."

Draft saved Draft deleted