1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at University of Alabama-Huntsville

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

MSNBC just ran a story on this with a graphic of the University of Alabama logo with a handgun next to it and overlapping it. Yeah, that's pretty annoying.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

NBC did it this morning. What is so damn hard about accurately reporting the name of the friggin' school?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And in 1986 she accidentally shot her brother to death in Massachusetts.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/professor_accus.html

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just read that. Makes you wonder if it was an accident.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That got a writethru at 3:57 that's very interesting -- she was being booked for homicide when the process was halted by the then-chief of police. The current chief of police calls it a cover-up. Apparently back then she fired three shots and also attempted to carjack somebody at gunpoint.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wow. I made my comments after reading the NY Times account which mentioned it and cited the Globe.

After reading the Globe's article, you've really got to wonder what was going on with this girl/woman.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I was thinking of the same thing when I read about the accidental shooting of her brother in '86.

One report said that the meeting wasn't about the issue of tenure for her.

This reminds me of the Iowa campus shootings in Nov. 1991. It still feels like it happened yesterday.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Damn, can't anyone accept a setback anymore without it turning into gunplay?

9. D-3 Fan

Tenure is the "make or break" for college profs. Getting it not just means job security at a school, but a feeling of vindication for writing and researching, and proving that you are a competent teacher in the classroom.

Not getting feels like you have been blacklisted and the school you are trying to get tenured with thinks you are not good enough to stay there.

My college advisor told me a few months ago that not getting tenured is "the kiss of death" to many college educators.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

In this economy it's probably even worse than that.

11. D-3 Fan

It is right up there now, No One.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

In just about any other professional field there is nothing the equivalent of tenure.

Draft saved Draft deleted