1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at Seattle Pacific University

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Now, now people don't fall for the liberal media narrative by calling this a "shooting."

http://www.mediaite.com/online/nra-news-blames-media-for-calling-gun-violence-shootings/

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Now, if he had an assault rifle, he would not have needed to reload.

Darn, Libs taking away my freedom and giving me the need to reload.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'll admit my mistake. I don't need to exaggerate - the truth is harrowing enough.

I'm just reinforcing what the guy said. I assume he stands by it and he and his supporters don't feel the least bit of shame for believing it.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Doctorquant straps on his rhetoricalquestionocator ...

Anybody have any info on the legislation that was shot down or challenged by the NRA that would have done away with access to the weapon reportedly used in this shooting?

5. MisterCreosote

No, because lawmakers are spineless pussies who are already bought and paid for by the gun lobby.

I'm no longer advocating for change, because I know it will never happen. I aim simply to highlight exactly the position we as a country have decided to stake out, and how pathetic it is.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a satire site:

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Stipulating that the reporting is accurate ...

The weapon in question was a shotgun. Is there anyone here who thinks "the gun lobby" has fought to protect access to shotguns? No? I wonder why.

Perhaps it's because no one of consequence has ever seriously considered shutting off access to hunting weapons. They don't even do that in Germany.

If you want to craft some anti-NRA morality play out of this latest incident, by all means have at it. But you might just as well use it to buttress a pro-unicorn argument ... I, for one, think this story (as it's been reported) supports my theory of why MLB revenue sharing is a perfect economic arrangement.

8. MisterCreosote

There's no need to craft a morality play. The game is over, and the other side won.

This latest dead kid, and all the dead firearms victims in Chicago and every other corner of the U.S., don't trump our Constitutional rights. I really, sincerely hope everyone is proud of themselves.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The suspect in Thursday's gun violence has been identified as Aaron Ybarra, 26, who was not a student at the college and according to local media reports was fascinated with school shootings, including the 1999 Columbine High School massacre.

The suspect suffers from "significant and longstanding mental health issues" that were a factor in the tragedy, his lawyer said on Friday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-seattle-student-20140606,0,4893281.story

He was "fascinated with school shootings", but I'm sure the UCSB coverage didn't encourage him at all.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Again, what do gun rights, or anti-gun rights have to do with shotguns?

Even the anti-gun idiots aren't against weapons used for hunting.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Agreed. This, like the previous incident in California, is pretty much a non-starter for any anti-gun argument. No reasonable gun legislation would affect shotguns, rifles or legally purchased and registered handguns.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Of course there's nothing reasonable about the anti-gun crowd.

Draft saved Draft deleted