1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at KC Chiefs facility

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Many of you are too young to remember that the NFL took a tremendous social hit when they didn't cancel/postpone games after JFK's assassination. Life goes on. The show must go on. It sounds cold but it is what it is. I'm not saying that I agree with not postponing the game but it is reality.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This whole "he thanked Crennel and Pioli" factoid sort of rubs me the wrong way.

Oh, the guy who just murdered the mother of his infant child "thanked" them before killing himself. What a nice, polite young man. It was so considerate of him to make a special trip over to the facility to "thank" them, especially considering all he had on his mind.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And how's this for uncomfortable irony: Peter King just tweeted, "From 5-year-old Boston Globe story on Jovan Belcher: His major at University of Maine was Child Development and Family Relations."

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

People handle situations differently. Grief affects people in different ways. some can function as if nothing happen, others need time to regroup. There's no perfect solution for grief.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i will forgive our newbie. 'getting' shockey is a challenge some don't master for quite a while. i'm an acquired taste, newbie, but to know me is to, um, not hate/misunderstand me.

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Regardless of how anyone feels, they will play this game tomorrow.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

not canceling after JFK 'twas pete rozelle's biggest regret. nfl lerned from this and did cancel games the weekend after 9/11.

with apologies to the young lady and belcher, this equals neither jfk nor 9/11/ i'll be SHOCKED if the game is even postponed.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You rule, shockey. I've gotten into it with you, too ... an acquired taste, perhaps, but well worth the time to read and know at least on a message-board level, if not personally when/if geography allows.

I can only hope the Panthers will cooperate fully and without hesitation with whatever the Chiefs and the NFL wish to do.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Sammmmm.

"No! We won't fly home! We came here to play football and we aren't leaving until we play football!!"

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They always can push the game back a couple of days, seeing that the league doesn't seem to have a problem with teams only having three days of rest between games. They can play Tuesday or Wednesday.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Shockey, in those communities, this is a tragedy. You are correct, it doesn't compare to JFK and 9/11. I'm with you about being SHOCKED if the game is postponed.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

NBC affiliate in KC reporting he got out of the car, knelt in front of Crennel and Pioli and pulled the trigger as KC police arrived.

Draft saved Draft deleted