1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at KC Chiefs facility

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My heart says the NFL can't expect the Chiefs to play on Sunday. My head - which realizes the NFL cares more about money than people - laughs at my heart.

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Oh, stop it. There is no need to start the race over who is more "SICKENED!!!!!" or "OFFENDED!!!!"

Dude shot a woman, then himself. He gets no respect from this corner. What, in this thread, has "sickened!" you? Have you seen what is being said elsewhere?

CBSSports put up a nice Fantasy Analysis for it:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1675829/jovan-belcher

Twitter has exploded with people falling all over each other to be the first to find his Facebook page report pertinent "facts."

This is the world we live in.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"We're a family here. But business is business."

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This. What was said that offended your delicate sensibilities?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Perhaps the "arguing" was them trying to talk him out of killing himself.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Probably Shockey's:

To each his own. I know I have a bad habit of resorting to humor to deal with difficult things, and I will definitely offend a lot of people around here, but maybe I make a few people laugh too. The problem here is that this may be just too soon. I like shockey, but cringed a little at the above, but still, there will be things said to lighten up the atmosphere around here, and we all know it.

7. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

You can't just cancel one game. The implications for SOS, SOV for other playoff teams can't be ignored. The game has to be played, as callous as it may sound.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That was a commentary on the NFL, and their callousness, not Shockey trying to make a bad joke.

You want a bad joke? If David Stern was NFL Commissioner, he'd insist Belcher be in uniform, as the Chiefs did not alert the League Office, the Panthers, or the media in a timely fashion.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

He wasn't even joking about it, he was making a comment about how cynical he thinks the NFL would be about this. There's plenty worse being said elsewhere -- Facebook, Twitter, ESPN and Yahoo comments, other message and imageboards.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

FWIW, Wikipedia (of course) already has his death posted. Not that we would source with it.

Death

On the morning of December 1, 2012, Kansas City police confirmed that Belcher fatally shot his girlfriend before driving to Arrowhead Stadium, where he then fatally shot himself.[8]

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We're worried about the fifth and sixth tiebreakers for teams in the same division, but not about coaches and staff being forced to work 24 hours after witnessing a suicide?

Hell, the Chiefs should forfeit. Or crank up the Arrowhead sprinklers and make the field unplayable.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

If the Vikings can have a game postponed and played a few days later last year because of a collapsed dome roof, then the NFL sure as hell can postpone a game due to a murder-suicide the day before a game, at an NFL stadium, involving an NFL player.

My take, for what it is or isn't worth: The NFL just spent a month promoting the over-blown and sexy cause of breast cancer awareness. Is breast cancer serious? Definitely - I have a friend who died from it a couple years ago. It was awful.
    But guess what? Domestic violence, of which this appears to be a classic example, affects many more women - and men - than breast cancer.
    NFL, you want to make a real social statement? Postpone the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted