1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at KC Chiefs facility

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

From Jay Glazer's twitter.

Scary situation in KC right now as a player and another person have been shot at the Chiefs facility. Don't want to reveal player until his family knows

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

@jeff_rosen88: Our news partner ch. 5 reporting #Chiefs player apparently killed his girlfriend and then himself this morning.

Jesus.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A quick perusal of Chiefs fan message boards have the name Jovan Belcher, a starting linebacker, named as the rumored perpetrator/victim.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Police: player shot girlfriend at a home, then shot himself at the facility.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/20234680/police-chiefs-players-kills-girlfriend-then-kills-self

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Belcher's name all over Twitter now, though unconfirmed by a reputable news source that I can tell. Wikipedia page has been changed to reflect, but, as we know, anyone can do that.

What a horrendous story.

Do the Chiefs still play tomorrow? Crass to think about, I guess, but that decision has to be made quickly.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Redskins played the week Sean Taylor died. It was a couple days later, but that team was still in mourning too.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I've heard the Chiefs, Panthers and NFL are talking about maybe canceling the game.

some reports are saying Belcher killed himself in front of two Chiefs coaches.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Taylor died at home, not at the team facility.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No reason to play this game. Little impact on standings.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

:p

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wow. Yeah, OK, if that's the case, Taylor isn't in the same ballpark as a comparison.

I don't think we've ever seen a team end up a game short in the NFL standings, but I don't think anyone would have a problem with this one.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm guessing they end up canceling this game - would that happen if this if either, or both, of the teams was in the running for the playoffs? Not asking whether it should still be canceled (I believe it should), but would it?

Draft saved Draft deleted