1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at FSU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Nov 20, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How many were injured before they lit him up? Getting there quickly is relative. They did not prevent a disaster, they contained a disaster. Should they have prevented this before it began? We'll look forward to a thorough investigation by local authorities. Right after the BBQ at Jimbo's?

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Fixed it for you.

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Just now getting caught up on the latest development only to learn that I know the shooter, an RA of my dorm more than a decade ago. It's been a long time, but it's hard not to be stunned, to say the least.

4. As scary as I'm sure it was, thankfully no one died. I bet at least a dozen people have been murdered in my city this month. And most will go unnoticed and unreported on except for a few paragraphs or two in the paper.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Let the great gun debate begin anew.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Most cops will work their entire career without firing their weapon in the line of duty. They shoot at the range as often as is required to stay certified. That's it.

They're not superhuman. They have training. (And, as we've seen, they often fire too often, have poor aim, and hit bystanders, or even other cops.)

I don't think Dr. Bibbity-Bop should be issued a revolver as part of employee orientation, but if he takes the same weapons training, and continues to remain certified, as Officer Sure Shot, then why not allow him to carry a weapon?

The same issue came up in regards to airline pilots after 9/11.

And, the fact of the matter is that it may serve as a deterrent.

Sure, many of these shooters are on a suicide mission. But, they want to go out in a blaze of glory, having taken out a number of victims. They want some version of fame.

If they think Prof. Bop might take them out before they can run up a good score, the entire mission is less desirable. It would be embarrassing to be taken out by the biology professor. They'd be going out in shame.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

its over. Guns won.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What the hell set him off? Was the last coloring book completely filled in?

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

From CNN.com:

"The gunman was identified by authorities as Myron May, a 2005 graduate of FSU. He graduated from Texas Tech University's law school in 2009, and practiced law in both Texas and New Mexico, according to Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo. May moved back into the area a few weeks ago."

"'Mr. May had a written journal and videos where he expressed fears of being targeted and that he wanted to bring attention to this issue of targeting,' DeLeo told reporters. 'A preliminary review of these documents and videos demonstrate that Mr. May was in a state of crisis.'"

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Mental illness, drugs, or both?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He was tired of being confused with Dave Winfield

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

its called respect. Or decorum. There's nothing to laugh about with a student critical and a very disturbed person dead who couldn't or wouldn't get help
    Bet you were rolling in the aisles at Virginia Tech.

Draft saved Draft deleted