1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at FSU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Nov 20, 2014.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The original Times story was very good and raised a lot of serious questions about what goes on at FSU.
    With that unnecessary throwaway paragraph I just lost a lot of respect for them.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Saw a Facebook meme the other day (before the FSU shooting) with John Oliver saying "One failed attempt at a shoe bomb and we all have to take our shoes off at the airport. Thirty one school shootings since Columbine and no change in our regulation of guns." Thought it was a good point.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Violating the Fourth Amendment is not a treasonous affront to our liberty.

4. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Yes, because school shootings are totally what the NRA wants to happen.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

EDIT: Whoops, missed your point on this one. I'm assuming this was blue font.

6. MisterCreosote

The NRA very specifically wants schools to combat school shootings by arming teachers, AND specifically training them to return fire at the perpetrators.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Because more guns makes things safer.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Witnesses have said the cops acted with great expediency.
    Lit him up when he was repeatedly told to drop his weapon and did not.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In the future, when we have events like this, we should call in social workers to talk down shooters, instead of the police, what, with their guns and all.

The additional guns just make everyone less safe. Like shooter for instance, who is now dead because of the cops.

10. MisterCreosote

Cops. As in law enforcement agents. Not Dr. Bippity-Bop, the biology professor.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There's people in critical condition all over the world. People get shot every minute. Ebola is rampant. We need a laugh every now and then to keep from crying.

It's doubtful that lame jokes will have any effect one way or another on the critical student.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I think cops should be armed to the teeth. I don't feel the same about teachers, pilots, librarians, or myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted