1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at FSU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Nov 20, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I thought it was funny.

Appropriate? Not so much.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It was very nice of whoever "hacked" her Twitter account to offer up an indignant "apology" on her behalf:

"Since apparently I cant make a joke in all seriousness I hope everyone at FSU is safe & that the gunman is found. But I stand by my opinions"

I hear there's going to be an opening for a shitty standup comedian pretty soon. Maybe she can take over Cosby's latest project, since she just wants to make "jokes."

Also, what "opinions" did she offer that she needs to stand by? Or, is she referring to her opinion that her shitty, unfunny joke was actually funny?

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think it's funny someone from Alabama would indict anyone else's intelligence.

4. RecoveringJournalist

How hard it is to say, "I apologize for the insensitive tweet. I hope everybody is OK."

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

When you're a part of the "nothing is ever my fault" generation, very.

6. RecoveringJournalist

"Somebody hacked my account, but I don't understand what the big deal is. It was just a joke, but like I said, it wasn't me, someone else did it."

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yet one more example of why I'm so goddamn glad there was no Internet when I went to college.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

NYT story on the shooting ends with this graph:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/21/us/florida-state-university-shooting.html

You can argue that's in questionable taste as much the college reporter's tweet is, considering the outlet. It's also totally unnecessary.

I mean, without that graph how many NYT readers would have said to themselves, "Florida State ... now where have I heard that name before? Is this the same school with the crooked football program?"

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yup. They're reaching with that. This shooting was unrelated to football. I'd say the same thing if a shooting happened at Penn State and they referenced Sandusky.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I guess the gun debate in this country is over. The NRA won. Va Tech, Sandy Hook, Killeen, Columbine, Aurora ... all just the cost of doing business.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There's a student in critical condition. You'd think you idiots would consider that when making lame jokes.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No jokes. No Politics. Just the facts.

How about...if the FSU Police werent so busy covering up for the football team they would have prevented this tragedy?
    How about... if the shooter thought "Gee Jameis Winston can rape and pillage with impunity maybe I can kill with impunity"
    How about..."If the school didn't spend 15 times the security budget on recruiting trips and coaches salaries there would have been metal detectors at the library".

Draft saved Draft deleted