1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at FRC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Aug 16, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Didn't see anything on this from yesterday:

A guy walked into Family Research Council yesterday and ended up shooting a guard in the arm.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/15/us/dc-shooting/index.html

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Before the hounds are released, I'll say this: I'm glad the LGBT center where the alleged shooter volunteered has condemned the attack, because anyone taking upon himself or herself to get a gun to go after people of opposing viewpoints (or, hell, after anyone) is wrong on multiple levels.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There was a thread. Now expunged.

Violence never succeeds in advancing ideology.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Just glad the guy is apparently a bad shot and only winged the guard. I think this would be a differently played story in the mainstream media had it been a deadshot.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's too early for the non-Fox media to be talking about gun control because of this shooting. Is it timely to talk about gun control in the wake of the January 8, 2011 Tuscon shooting?

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It has succeeded in stopping it though.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Good thing everyone inside had a gun so they could shoot down the gunman. What, they didn't even use a gun to subdue him?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Second Amendment remedies, anyone?

9. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Random question for the media people here. If same exact scenario occurred at an abortion clinic, guard shot and no one killed, would it have made bigger news?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Probably, but that's a poor comparison.

This happened at a thinktank. The parallel wouldn't be an abortion clinic, it would be the offices at NARAL or the equivalent.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you know the answer to that. Also, the thread here would be on Page 26.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's a joke in there about being limp-wristed and not being able to aim a gun.

Draft saved Draft deleted