1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shoot me now - Dibble in Nats booth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Todd Webster
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 703-837-1110
    twebster@masnsports.com
    MASN Names Rob Dibble As New Color Announcer for Nationals Baseball
    2-Time All Star, World Series Champion, MVP of the NLCS, XM/Sirius Broadcaster
    (WASHINGTON, D.C.) --- MASN has named Rob Dibble as the new color commentator for the Washington Nationals. He will join play-by-play man Bob Carpenter in the booth beginning with the 2009 season under a multi-year contract with MASN.

A 2-time All Star and MVP of the 1990 NLCS with the Cincinnati Reds, Dibble was part of the "Nasty Boys" bullpen which helped Cincinnati win the 1990 World Series. His broadcasting career includes stints at ESPN, Fox, and FoxSports.com.

"I'm excited to join MASN in covering one of the great new franchises in baseball, and I'm honored to be part of the MASN and Nationals' families. I will try to bring my experience as a pitcher, a ballplayer, and a broadcaster to the booth and bring fans a deeper understanding of what's happening on the field," said Dibble. "I've never been shy about sharing my opinion, so fans will know where I'm coming from."

"MASN has earned a national reputation for its commitment to the Nationals and to bringing fans inside the game, with features like Wired Wednesdays and pitch tracking. I'm looking forward to being part of the biggest baseball network in the country."

Dibble's arrival at Nationals Park will be a reunion in the broadcast booth, as he worked with Bob Carpenter at ESPN in the 1990s.

The Nationals' former color analyst, Don Sutton, who was halfway through a 4 year deal with MASN, had asked to be released from his contract for personal reasons.

"I have truly enjoyed the two years I had in Washington covering the Nationals and working for MASN. I will always be thankful that my wife Mary, my daughter Jackie and I had this experience. MASN is a first-class operation and deserves great credit for their pioneering success at presenting the Nationals games and effectively promoting the team. I appreciate that MASN has granted my request to be released for personal reasons, and I'm grateful for their understanding and cooperation," Sutton said. "I'm going to miss the class, the professionalism and the friendship of the folks who made sure we got good pictures on the air."

Dibble will make his high-energy debut in the MASN booth during Nationals spring training in March.

Members of the media interested in participating in a conference call with Rob Dibble should RSVP to info@masn.tv for time and call-in information.

###

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh ... my ... God.

Moddy, I feel your pain.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A grand for a new TV that I won't be able to stand to watch.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Rob Dibble...6-2, 280 pounds *DING!

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

In a pinch, he can come out of the booth and try to close.

6. Bubbler

But at least you'll be up to speed on Rob's latest T&A hot list.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I guess this means that Sutton goes back to the Braves (although they haven't officially announced it yet). Hot damn!

Speaking of the Braves, what can any of you Brewers fans/listeners tell me about Jim Powell?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sucks to be you Moddy.

10. Bubbler

Competent, but he's woodwork. Never liked listening to him that much, he came off to me as more of a shill for the team than you'd even expect from a MLB announcer.

He might be better with the Braves because I think he's a Georgia native. I know he talked about being a Braves fan as a kid on broadcasts before.

11. Moddy takes issue with the new broadcast crew.

[​IMG]

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

Moddy... the DC area gets rid of George Bush, and now you have to deal with this.

I send my sympathy.

Draft saved Draft deleted