1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shoe Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Key, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Hey, I forgot that AE also has come out with a cheaper line of dress shoes (albeit at $175, a little more than half the price of their standard calfskin dress shoes). They are made in the Domincan Republic rather than Wisconsin or Maine, and the sole construction is "cemented" rather than stitched, which means they are disposable shoes, unlike the regular AEs that you can ship to Wisconsin for "recrafting" when they start to wear out. But at least these are full-grain leather, unlike some of the cheap CHs and J&Ms that are "corrected grain" -- cheap leather that is sanded smooth and sprayed with a plastic-looking finish.

Short answer: You don't have to buy in person, but you should see them and try them on before you buy online, unless you like to return stuff. I would not buy on the basis of "brand" or recommendation of others. Your eyes and feet should decide.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd rather buy new golf shoes than shoes for anything else. For work dogs I'll hit the Bass outlet near home and be done with it. If I wore suits I'd put more time and cash into it, but I don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted