1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shoe Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Key, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I have three pairs of shoes. Three unconfortable pairs of shoes.

My black shoes are Borns, my brown shoes are Rockports, and both are ready to be replaced. To be honest, though, neither pair was very comfortable.

So I need help and suggestions, please, and maybe a little input from Moddy. I'm looking for casual, versatile shoes that I can wear with dress pants, khakis and jeans.

Help me, SJ nation, you're my only hope.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Moddy doesn't do casual shoes. He does shoes like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Yeah, those look like a pair of my golf shoes.

I thought Moddy's taste varied somewhat.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Cole Haan Santa Barbara or Venetian Nike Airs

The most comfortable / versatile / durable dress shoe that you will ever own.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

You're a grown man.

Go buy a pair of shoes.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I own two pairs of the Cole Haan loafers. Boom is right and then some. Great, great shoes.

On the phone so can't post a link but zappos has them on sale right now for under a hundred bucks. Look for the Dempsey model.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Those are friggin' awesome. Look like Allen Edmonds shoes. In the $250 range

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They are Edmonds.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nobody gives a fuck what shoes you wear. Why the hell you asking us, dickhead? Sack up and buy whatever the fuck you like.[/spnited]

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm a little surprised Borns aren't comfortable.

I had a pair of Clarks loafers that I wore virtually every day for more than two years. Best pair of non-athletic shoes I've ever owned.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree with the Cole Hahn suggestions. Well made shoes, in my experience. Although all I wear for shoes are Oxfords. I have a pair of Cole Hahn oxfords that work great as an everyday shoe. Can pop them on with jeans and a jacket and you are good to go. Comfortable.

My go-tos -- for the combo price, look and durability -- are my Johnston Murphy's. Again Oxfords. I have one pair that gets worn with suits, even a tuxedo (when you spruce them up) and I'll even put them on with jeans. I bought the same exact pair I already have (styles never change) when I saw a sale price a year ago, thinking I'd use them as a replacement when the time came, and I still haven't taken them out of the box. The ones I am still wearing look almost as good as they did new -- although, granted I don't wear them every single day.

I haven't bought a pair in years, and I don't know if they still even sell them, but for an everday shoe, Banana Republic surprisingly had some oxfords that were comfy. Maybe lacked a bit in durability compared to the shoes I am describing, but they were exactly the kind of shoe I like to wear.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I do indeed do variety. I like some outlandish in my shoes. I love the shoes IJAG posted and have a pair like it from Cole-Haan. I also like some basic because sometimes you need some basic.

I'm basically down to three brands: Fluevog (www.fluevog.com), Cole-Haan and New Balance. For what you want, you can get a great pair of Cole-Haans for under 200 that can be worn with anything. I have two pair I've had going on 10 years and they've held up great. Wear them with jeans, with sportcoat/pants, "business" casual, everything but a suit. Not quite dressy enough for that. The Nike Air stuff makes them feel like athletic shoes.

Never had borns before. I've had good luck with Rockports.

Sign up for email on Cole-Haan's web site. They often do very good specials. They just finished four days of 30 percent off on everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted