1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shockingly, when it comes to A-Rod, there's more where that came from

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There isn't an allegation highlighted in the story that isn't based on hearsay. In fact, the story only says that the book "strongly suggests ..." How utterly weak.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Mainlining coffee and responding: I eventually understood (about 3 grafs in) that the DN story was referring to Selena's book, I just thought the whole story was strangely written. Wouldn't you lead with something that acknowledged this is the same book whose excerpts that led to ARod's admission of steroid use?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wouldn't have been the worst idea in the world.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. cranberry

Alex Rodriguez may have bulked up with steroids as early as high school - and was suspected of juicing while playing for the Yankees, a bombshell new book reports.

The poor DN writer was probably trying to lead with the most significant new information revealed in the book but couldn't find anything that Selena had actually nailed down.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That's funny, I was just posting the same thing, along with this:

I'm completely willing to believe this is legal CYA by the writer and DN, maybe because they didn't actually have the book.

I wouldn't judge the book by this story, but I really hope Selena has done more than 'strongly suggest.'

6. cranberry

Selena doesn't need a lot of facts. Just ask the Duke lacrosse players.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Please, Lord, tell me the "B---- t---" was properly sourced.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Of course she was the only one who had that story wrong. ::)

Perhaps we should wait to read the whole book before slamming her for it. As I said above, I hope she has more than what we have seen so far, but we really don't know what she has until we read the thing.

And none of that changes the fact that Rodriguez did use performance-enhancing drugs. Even when he admitted it and apologized, he lied and it is very likely that he used them before and after his time in Texas.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Is it character assassination if he's already admitted to some juicing?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Is it character assassination if it's A-Rod?

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

This needs to be a chant echoing in American League stadiums across the country.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.