1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking spelling error in SI ad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dyno, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

There's a full page ad in last week's Entertainment Weekly for SI's upcoming Man of the Year issue. The ad has photos of three past winners, including "Muhammed Ali." The guy's a worldwide icon and the SI ad dept. can't spell his name right? Embarrassing.

2. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

A man has the right to change his name to vatever he vants to change it to. And if a man vants to be called Muhammed Ali, godammit this is a free country, you should respect his vishes, and call the man Muhammed Ali!

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

His mama named him Clay. I'ma call him Clay.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Is the fact that ad people can't spell really worth its own thread?

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

If it's SI misspelling Muhammad Ali, then yes. It's not like it's an obscure name that's hard to verify. The man's name has probably been in their magazine thousands of times and he was one of only three athletes featured in the ad (Lance Armstrong and Tom Brady, both spelled correctly, were the others). Very sloppy and to me, surprising.

6. Dyno, it's the magazine's ad department. That's pretty self-explanatory to me. It's not like Rick Reilly wrote the thing up.

Ad people fuck that shit up all the time in every publication. They're not hired for their spelling skills.

7. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Yeah you never know with the ad people.

I've noticed spelling errors are more common in magazines than newspapers. I don't know why. I was reading Men's Journal at the gym today(for some reason every issue of had disappeared) and they spelled Dwayne Jarrett as "Duane".

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

That line should not pass without compliment. Excellent work, Doc.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Dyno:
    I hope your 24/7 eagle eye works just as well at your own shop.

Geez, I don't get it with you folks who scream from the rooftops whenever SI makes an error. By doing so, you are revealing a bit of your inferiority complex.

Get a life.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yes. Ad people can't spell. A universally recognized truth.

And there are never any spelling errors from the big brains in editorial.

Idiotic comments.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Professional jealously, Part MCCXXVII

On a side note, I was a little disappointed at a couple of things in the Players section. They managed to get items containing ". . . has a lot to be thankful for" AND ". . . will be getting an early Christmas present" in the same issue.

12. Christ, in my younger days, I used to hang out with the adguys ... they'd be the first ones to tell you the can't fucking spell. But no one could schmooze, drink or work a can of hairspray like they could ...

Draft saved Draft deleted