1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking News: FBI misused Patriot Act

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Mar 9, 2007.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I find it shocking that this took place considering how devoted the Bush administration has been to protecting our civil liberties.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/fbi-misused-patriot-act-audit-finds/20070309032109990001

WASHINGTON (March 9) - The FBI improperly and, in some cases, illegally used the USA Patriot Act to secretly obtain personal information about people in the United States, a Justice Department audit concluded Friday.

And for three years the FBI underreported to Congress how often it forced businesses to turn over the customer data, the audit found.

FBI Director Robert Mueller said he was to blame for not putting more safeguards into place.

"I am to be held accountable," Mueller said. He told reporters he would correct the problems and did not plan to resign.

"The inspector general went and did the audit that I should have put in place many years ago," Mueller said.

The audit by Justice Department Inspector General Glenn A. Fine found that FBI agents sometimes demanded personal data on individuals without proper authorization. The 126-page audit also found the FBI improperly obtained telephone records in non-emergency circumstances.

The audit blames agent error and shoddy record-keeping for the bulk of the problems and did not find any indication of criminal misconduct.

Still, "we believe the improper or illegal uses we found involve serious misuses of national security letter authorities," the audit concludes.

At issue are the security letters, a power outlined in the Patriot Act that the Bush administration pushed through Congress after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. The letters, or administrative subpoenas, are used in suspected terrorism and espionage cases. They allow the FBI to require telephone companies, Internet service providers, banks, credit bureaus and other businesses to produce highly personal records about their customers or subscribers - without a judge's approval.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who cares?

There have been no terrorists attacks in the United States since 9/11

Rinse and repeat as necessary.

3. And, of course, Fredo attached one of his "signing statements" to the renewal of the Patriot Act that said he was, of course, above the law. And then Alberto Gonzales fetched a stick and they all went home.
    WPE

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Knock me over with a feather.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

You America-hating sissies are the reason we're all going to hell in a handbasket. Hope you're proud of yourselves.

6. Is it a green-and-yellow handbasket because I can't find it anywhere.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's red. Red as in commie.

If you've washed it it might be pink which is appropriate too.

8. Why would any Communist be in favor of a radical Islamist agenda?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't fairies wear pink?

Whatever. Demonstrably.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

V.I. Lenin: theocracy's friend. Stalin: Islam's butt-boy. Shit, I think there's a Shia splinter-sect in Goatturdistan that thinks former Albanian dictator Enver Xosha was the 12th Imam. That "atheist state" thing was just to confuse the West.

11. It worked.

12. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Whatever happened to the rule of law these people some vigorously claim vs illegial immigrants and perjury (except when Scooter does the fibbing).

Draft saved Draft deleted