1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking: More McClatchy bad news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I doubt that most companies have random drug-test policies. They might have policies for pre-employment screening and a test if there's a reason for it.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That would be my guess, though the last two companies I've worked for haven't believed in drug testing. So, I guess I have that going for me.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You should have dropped in the "right-sizing" term. Since the quality of the paper has already passed the quality of TP you currently use, you are making changes to "right-size" your checkbook and budget.

And what Ace said, of course.
    -----

I hope we haven't seen the last of Mechelle Voepel's work on ESPN.com. She and Graham Hays have done a top-notch job on the women's sports scene. Kudos to both and hope that Voepel lands very softly.

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

McClatchy also cut 16 people from their interactive division based in Raleigh. Several of those folks had been part of Nando, one of the first newspaper-affiliated sites to do their own independent reporting.

Perhaps the web is no longer the way and the light? :-\

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I hear that a writer was ousted from the Herald over the weekend. Didn't get a name yet, though.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As noted on the most recent Miami thread, that was a job issue.

And now, for something completely like all the other problems ...

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080926/mcclatchy_credit_agreement.html?.v=3

7. Pawtucket_Pat

Pawtucket_Pat New Member

I heard a rumor that more layoffs are coming down in McClatchy-land. Can anyone confirm?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ask and The Pipeline shall deliver. The bad news just doesn't stop:
    Hey, I just got an e-mail that the Bellingham (Wash.) paper had four more layoffs today, including one in the newsroom.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

B-ham just converted to a universal desk this summer between McC rounds one and two. I'm curious what part of the newsroom this one came from.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

If newspapers could find a way to make all online classifieds services, i.e. craigslist, illegal, then we might start bouncing back.

Draft saved Draft deleted