1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking: More McClatchy bad news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Sep 16, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Today I posted a McClatchy position on the Jobs board. Thinking that might not be needed now, but who the hell knows?

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Miami Herald sports came out OK (more or less) in the last round of cuts. But now ........?

3. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

A handful of papers underwent non-company ordered buyouts last month and many met requirements from that, so they won't lose positions this time around.

I think you'll see the largest hits come from non-newsroom departments - namely ones that can be out-sourced like customer service, direct marketing and specialty print products that can be replaced with pre-print offerings from Time/Parade that the papers have rights to but don't use (ie. Parade Magazine, Relish food tab, HealthyYou health/fitness tab, etc.)

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

A friend of mine just took a job at a McClatchy shop. Hope he's not affected.

5. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

If they deemed his position important enough to fill, it will likely be important enough to keep.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have to come up with another term...I think Webby copyrighted Pipeline.

Anyway, from my whatever, 15 cut in Boise, six from the newsroom, one from sports.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

who in sports in Boise?

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I am working to solidify that.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A reporter, I am told.

EDIT: They are looking at a universal desk, too.

10. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

A thought (not saying it will happen, just tossing it out there) - If these cuts continue with McClatchy papers, do you see some of the big boy papers so gashed and now having such small staffs that they operate like smaller papers, where writers now have to rotate and spend time some nights on the desk, copy editing and/or designing??

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I suspect that's already happening, tony.

12. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

After the first round of layoffs at my property, the city desk/metro editors and writers were told they would now be working a rotating shift involving nights, weekends and holidays. They weren't happy.

However, it would take a major bloodletting and substantial increase in space to get to the point where we'd have to have writers filling in on editing shifts or putting together pages.

Our newsroom staffing is roughly 1-per-1400 subscriptions, for those playing along at home.

Draft saved Draft deleted