1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking: More McClatchy bad news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm down to one, which the suits would probably see as a good thing. We don't agree.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Realistically speaking, how much thinner can some of the McClatchy papers get personnel wise and still be effective at reporting what's going on in their respective communities?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm no economist, but when you buy something expecting to pay for it with the increased profits you anticipate and instead find your revenues declining, forcing you to keep cutting your expenses just to eke out a profit on continually falling revenues, isn't it like swimming against a rip tide?

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Heard through the grapevine a bigger paper in the SE was told today there won't be any newsroom cuts this time in their shop (they lost a decent amount of newsroom people last time).

While that's a good thing short-term for the journos, if all the people who sell ads and print the paper are being axed, how is this thing going to stop spiraling downward like it is?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

it isn't and they don't understand it...

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

That paper MU just ended a job search that was well noted on the board.
    Slappy, I believe they do understand. I think they just don't give a damn.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

It's like a submarine in a power dive. It won't stop until it hits bottom or its hull is crushed by the pressure. Neither option is appealing.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And there's only enough room in the escape pods for the suits

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Hell, Slap, the suits are high and dry. Schmucks like us are manning the diving planes and watching the pressure dials.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Anybody hearing any specifics?

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

From the IJAG Pipeline :)D) Charlotte is looking at losing about 20 people from the newsroom. Fewer than that have accepted the voluntary buyout. Involuntary cuts start Thursday.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Egad, another thousand-plus jobs? Who will be left to produce any papers?

Supposedly, Toonces can Twitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted