1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking Michael J. Fox Ad in MO Senate Race

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Personal responsibility is a foreign concept in this day and age. For both lefties and righties.

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Applause, please.

And Tony...I guess when I speak of personal responsibility, I talk about the kind that transcends political and religious views.

Myself, I do believe in a woman's right to choose. And I don't believe there's some guy in the clouds looking out for me. But I'm willing to bet there are plenty of things we'd agree on: A child deserves a good home, a parent should adopt a responsible lifestyle, a person should take steps w/r/t sex to protect themselves if they aren't ready to have kids. Our methods of doing so may differ, but the result is the same.

Ultimately, what we do with embreyos (sic, probably) or fetuses or anything else won't matter a shred if we don't raise a healthy, smart and capable generation of kids to further tackle these issues long after our lungs liquify.

Now, I'll freely admit that my age prevents me from having any truly broad perspective. But my one life experiences have shown me that it seems like a lot of folks are cranking out kids without hardly thinking about the responsibilities therein. And there's plenty more who DO think about the responsibilities, but only insofar as they don't interfere with beer-drinking, trips to the titty bar, casual sex with multiple partners and all the things that were around BEFORE the kid came into the picture.

Kids aren't a political issue, they're not a religious issue and they're not a moral issue. They're a human issue. I'm not saying forget about the unborn child debate. I'm saying let's not forget what we have now.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Let's not forget about collective responsibility, either.

Neither is in great supply.

4. Inky_Wretch

But can you have a collective responsibility when personal responsibility is in such short supply?

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I would agree except for the specter of slavery that still hangs over the plight of black men and women in this country. It is a hard shadow to get out from under, and I think the government to this day bears some responsibility in helping black people in this country back on their feet. No one is helped by the way it is right now and everyone loses, no matter how many times you lecture about how they should have "personal responsibility." Obviously, as a whole, it ain't happening.

And I'm not talking about welfare handouts, either. But there needs to be a dramatic alteration in policies that affect education in black neighborhoods, housing in black neighborhoods, employment in black neighborhoods, etc., etc,. etc.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

It's okay to abort them in Iraq.

7. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I think this is a good point.

Politically and socially, everything these days seems to be about what we ALL should be doing.

I don't think that's what changes a society for the better.

Put another way: The higher the pedastal, the harder it is to smell the shit in your garden.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

shot --
    I agree that they're linked, just wanting to point out that often (though maybe not in this case) "personal responsiblity" in politics is code for "fuck everybody else."

9. "They believe life begins at conception and ends at birth."
    (Popularly attributed to Rep. Barney Frank, but there are other claimants.)

10. Inky_Wretch

I don't speak in political code.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I believe the term in the bible and agreed upon throughout history (and the thousands of parishes thus named) is Immaculate Conception. What part of Conception don't you understand? You may want to go back to third-grade reading, dumbass.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yes, you do.

We all do. We didn't get to name things. People who lived before us did, and they had political reasons for naming things the way they did.

Draft saved Draft deleted