1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking Michael J. Fox Ad in MO Senate Race

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 24, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

From what I read, he didn't worry so much about the initiative as he did about the politician. He talked with McCaskill, liked her views on the subject and did the ad. He's also done ads for one Republican and I believe him when he says he'd do more. It's not about partisan politics for him. It's about this particular topic.

And the reason I can believe he knows what he's talking about is because he says things that indicate he has a solid grasp on the issue -- where the snags are, what's been achieved, what's likely to be achieved, what the timetables are, etc. He doesn't make broad statements and he doesn't sum up the entire issue with a neat little catchphrase. Of course, that's too complex for some. It's much easier to focus on the one line from the interview in which he says he didn't read the initiative. If you were leaning the other way to begin with, you read that, stop there and take that as your excuse to believe he's just another player in the politics game.

I just don't know how you could know even a little bit about this topic and not take the time to learn all you can and remove it from any political debate. Dammit, they're talking about curing cancer, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and paralysis. That's rather important stuff that will likely negatively affect every single person here in some way in our lives. Why would you allow your knowledge of this to be only what you learn from the talking points?

2. JackS

JackS Member

I never said he was involved in partisan politics. I completely believe him when he says he supports Arlen Specter and would support other Republicans who would fund ESC research. I also am not focusing solely on his admission that he hasn't read the Missouri ballot initiative. Did you disregard my opinion on his point about fertility clinics discarding embryos?

The one thing I really don't like about your posts is the implication that you've read everything about the issue and the rest of us get all our ideas from political hacks and don't do any reading of our own. I mean, really, get lost with that crap.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

No, I never said I've read everything. And I never said that there's no one here who doesn't know more than me, much less as much as I do, about this issue.

But when you're dissecting Michael J. Fox's comments, it's a little hard to believe that you're not more focused on the politics and less so on the actual debate. The guy's not running for anything. All he's hoping for is that you'll actually spend some time, look into the issue a bit more carefully and back people like McCaskill who will push for federal research dollars. I'm missing the part where his reading of the ballot initiative makes any difference whatsoever. Now, if McCaskill hadn't read the ballot initiative, well, that I could understand being an issue.

You see what I'm saying? This has been turned into some misguided study of Fox, and that's a little goofy. That was my point. Yeah, he knows what he's talking about. But we're spending way too much time worrying about what he said and not nearly enough on the actual facts of the issue and what the people running for office are saying. And I wasn't saying that you know nothing and I know everything. Actually, I wasn't even directing my comments at just you. I would just like for this to get away from Fox, because as long as he's the focal point of the conversation, it's way too political.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

HUGE STEM CELL BREAKTHROUGH!!!
    Scientists grow a liver from scratch with stem cells.

http://news.scotsman.com/health.cfm?id=1608072006&format=print

But why haven't we heard much about it? Because it was done with stem cells from umbilical cord blood. As Wesley Smith points out in the Weekly Standard, that makes it a politically incorrect advancement. No embryoes were killed to do it, so the NYT and WaPost have nothing to celebrate.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/012/886hpnnn.asp

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

What is your contention here, tony?

That the scientists are just making that shit up about the embryonic cells? That they just want to fight over this shit? That simply because of this breakthrough, they're all a bunch of morons and have no idea what they're talking about?

Come on, here's your chance. Convince us all that you know more than the scientists and doctors. Tell us why they're wrong.

6. old_tony

I'm not claiming to know more than the scientists and doctors. I'm agreeing with them.

http://www.stemcellresearch.org/facts/treatments.htm

7. http://www.stemcellresearch.org/statement/index.html

Certianly no agenda here.
    Love to see who financed this astroturf bunch.

8. old_tony

So only scientists who agree with you are valid? What kind of scientist are you again?

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Can I assume then that you are also advocating the termination of all research projects devoted toward finding cures for cancer, AIDS, Parkinson's, diabetes, Alzheimer's and every other disease for which hours of research hasn't yet produced results?

And please find me one doctor who has actually spent any time reviewing research or conducting research in this field who agrees that embryonic stem cells do not hold the greatest potential.

10. I'm someone who's lived through the age of science-for-hire from the tobacco indsytry, the coal industry, the chemical industry and half-a-dozen other examples, foof.
    I'll take my science from people who aren't philosopically alleid with reactionary theology.

Draft saved Draft deleted