1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking Michael J. Fox Ad in MO Senate Race

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 24, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I don't think he's faking it or purposely didn't take his meds. If you've seen his appearances on Boston Legal, he's pretty much acting the same way. It's just that the producers of the show only keep the camera on him for short periods of time. Even then, though, he's moving all over the place, his head is at odd angles and he often slurs words.

The only real difference between those appearances and this ad is that the camera is directly on him for an extended period of time.

And come on, shotty. You know damn well that if the Dems had somehow managed to find proof that Terri Schiavo was a supporter, Rush woulda claimed she was faking it. The guy's as twisted as some of the nuts we've got running around here. He'll say absolutely anything to defend the Republican party.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

dog, I'm not going to play the political-party game on this. It means nothing to me, and I won't do it. See, what you and many others just don't get is that I, and a growing number of us, didn't even assign Republican or Democratic values to this.

Zeke, yes, it troubles me that the way I have to look at this IS callous. I don't like looking at it that way. I just have serious doubts that an ad would be shown with Fox so obviously in discomfort unless it was for affect.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

shot --

I also watched that episode of Inside the Actors Studio. It originally aired in Oct. 2005, and was taped months before that. And he was twitchy at times on there.

It seems like quite a logical leap to assume he was off his meds based on a taped appearace from 18 months ago. It's also quite an allegation against Fox, and I'd like to think you had a shred of evidence before standing behind it.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't. So I'll let it drop.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I thought about that, too, when he ended the commerical with "Americans ... Americans like me." Damn, it was tough to see Fox like that.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

For what it's worth, I remember Fox doing a campaign ad for Senator Arlen Specter up in Pennsylvania too. So it's not partisanship as much as the issue and what it means to him. And if you've known anyone with parkinsons, as it progresses the shakes and other problems associated do get worse and worse. And it's no leap to think that 18-months can make a big difference in appearance.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If that is the case, it really troubles me what the next few years hold for him. Very, very sad.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The medication for it is like any other drug. You have to keep increasing the doses over time, since your body gets more and more used to it. But you don't want to up the dosage too quickly either, so you do so gradually. It's a tough balance.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I saw him on the Actor's Studio as well.

You still haven't proven anything. When was the Actor's studio filmed? How do we know that the disease hasn't progressively degenerated since that was filmed.

You're speculating but declaring emphatically that he went off his meds.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually Michael J. Fox admitted in his 2002 book that he went off his meds before a congressional hearing to dramatically illustrate his disease.

Classic case of the Dems using someone they think will be immune to criticism. And anyone who questions his motivation, or doesn't change their mind about stem cell research (which, by the way, anyone is free to conduct. The government or Pres. Bush hasn't stopped anyone from doing research) will be treated with "My God, how can you criticize this poor man!!! You're cold-hearted!!!

It was the same with Cindy Sheehan: "How dare you criticize a mother who lost her son!!!"

That said, I don't think Fox is faking and I do understand his stance. The mistake everyone is making here is that if Pres. Bush changed his mind about stem-cell research overnight, and a quickie bill were passed in both houses, people with Parkinson's and spinal problems wouldn't be cured the next day. We're a long way from knowing if he kind of research they want will work.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I didn't say you did. I was talking about the defense of Rush you offered after zeke said no one should give him credit for anything.

The whole discussion revolved around Limbaugh and his idiotic comments. When Rush is involved, unless we're discussing another of his arrests, the discussion is always political. You might not have intended to involve yourself in a political discussion, but that's what this is. There's only one reason Limbaugh would make those claims, and it has everything to do with politics.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

To answer your question, no, Todd Beamer's dad was not appearing against his will. I didn't even think that was an issue. The point was, anybody will grab anybody they can to shore up their weak points, or what they think is the weak points of their opponent. Also, either party can use someone "immune to criticism." No one is going to criticize Todd Beamer's dad for standing up for whatever candidate he believes would best prevent what happened to his son.

Draft saved Draft deleted