1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking Michael J. Fox Ad in MO Senate Race

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 24, 2006.

1. ogre

ogre Member

Sorry about the poor phrasing Zeke.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Todd Beamer's dad was at a campaign event yesterday for Peter Roskam, the Republican running against Tammy Duckworth for Henry Hyde's old seat. So politicians of any stripe will bring out anyone they think can help. Especially because in Roskam's case, he needs the senior Beamer's security endorsement because he is running neck-in-neck in a presumably safe Republican seat against a woman disabled in the Iraq war.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Is Mr. Beamer appearing against his will?
    Just checking.

4. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Rush gets his marching orders in the morning from Rove/Mehlman, nothings working so far.

5. joe

joe Active Member

How does he run with his neck in someone else's neck? Seems like it would hurt.

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I wouldn't say he was overacting. But it's entirely possible he went off the meds for a few days before filming it. It's clearly something Fox feels passionately about, so I wouldn't blame him. But man, that is hard to watch.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I remember seeing Fox on Inside the Actor's Studio a few months ago, being interviewed by Lipton. And in the dead middle of the interview, he says, "One thing this has given me the freedom to do is to stop things suddenly when I need to take my magic pills. And that's what I'm going to do now." And he walked off stage. Cameras stopped rolling.

The difference with this commerical ... the meds were strategically NOT taken to provide drama for the sake of the message. Don't feel too good about that, but that's what we have.

Rush's use of the term "an act" ... that's offensive. It was most assuredly NOT "an act." But he WAS letting a process take place which could have been controlled had he so chosen.

Ease up a little bit. I know this is the first I knew of this, and I find it intriguing.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wait a fucking minute.

Does anyone here have any evidence that Fox went off his meds?

His is a degenerative illness, after all, and he hasn't been in the public eye that much lately.

Let's not be giving Limbaugh any fucking credit here, people.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, good lord, Zeke, we can't be having any of that.

I'm not playing FB/Hondo/etc. political games here. I'm merely stating what seems to be obvious.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, did I miss something here? Is there proof that he went off his meds? Link, please.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's not a matter of "missing" anything, JR, and you know it. I find this to be very clear; you and zeke don't. Had I not seen what happened on Actor's Studio not that long ago, I very well might look at it the way you two are.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

How is it obvious that he deliberately didn't take his medication so as to appear more sympathetic in a political ad?

What if I said it was obvious that his condition had severely worsened and that's why he's speaking his mind?

I don't know, and neither do you, and it seems particularly callous to assume in this case.

But that's the particularly pernicious game blowhards like O'Reilly and Limbaugh play. Of course, you don't believe what he says, but he sure did frame the issue for you, didn't he?

Draft saved Draft deleted