1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking development in Philly!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jan 23, 2007.

1. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Before Grossman had that pretty decent game Sunday, I was saying that Chicago ought to pick up Garcia for '07. Then I realized the error of my ways.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I knew I should have posted this sooner. Here's the article from The Times the ESPN story alludes to:
    http://www.nj.com/columns/times/eckel/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/116952879274120.xml&coll=5
    the writer of the column, Mark Eckel, has covered the Eagles for about 20-25 years. He knows which sources he can trust and which he can't.

3. What's so shocking? A crappy article by a crappy paper in a negative market. I like the Philly papers but the sports radio guys are just sickening, booing McNabb, calling for Reid's jobs. What idiots.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

If you guys don't want McNabb, we'll take him. [/lionsfanboy]

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Jeff Garcia is one of the 32 best quarterbacks in the NFL. Donovan McNabb is one of the five best QBs in the NFL

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If you knew the market you'd know that The Times is on the fringe of the market - not in the heart of it like the Inquirer, Daily News, or any of the papers in the immediate Philly suburbs (Chester, Montgomery, and Delaware Counties) are. You'd also know that The Times isn't a crappy paper.

7. I was raised in that market. Went to school with Bobby Clarke's daughter. Lived right down the road from the great Randall Cunningham. That paper is complete crap and you know it.

Couldn't help but notice your comment on this thread: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/36706/

So which is it?

8. SwampsofJersey

SwampsofJersey New Member

Write,

Are you confusing the Trenton Times with the Trentonian?

The Times is solid if not spectacular. Far from great, but not crap.

The reporter in question has strong credentials at least as far as the Eagles go.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Maybe the Eagles could trade an injury-prone McNabb for a top draft pick. Install Garcia as the starter to groom a rookie QB like JaMarcus Russell and be better in the long run.
    McNabb isn't getting any younger. He's had huge injury troubles and it isn't like he's coming off a string of Super Bowl wins.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

T.O. just wants to get in Garcia's pants.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That "grooming" shit doesn't work. Who groomed Tom Brady? Who groomed Peyton Manning? Maybe it was Daddy, but it sure as hell wasn't Kelly Holcomb.

If you have a 30-year-old 5-time Pro Bowler, and there's any reasonable chance he's going to return to form, you keep him.

Maybe there's a 25% chance that Donovan McNabb is going to be playing in the Pro Bowl in three years, but there's a 0.000000% chance Jeff Garcia is.

12. this guy is tickled pink. he thought he was writing a speculative column that only his local readers would take somewhat seriously...but we're in this around-the-horn, talk-radio era and people need crap to talk about so his speculation gets picked up by espn.

jeff garcia is 37 and the perfect short-term quarterback. he'll move to another team this offseason, and this guy will still be laughing about the mileage he got out of a quote from a "former jeff garcia teammate."

Draft saved Draft deleted