1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocked. Absolutely stunned.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jun 14, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Really, is there anyone not working for the federal government who didn't see that this was going to happen?

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060613200009990001&ncid=NWS00010000000001

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Government bureaucracies are susceptible to fraud? Noooooooooooo!

I'll blame Bush now and get it out of the way.

End of thread.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Up to $1.4 billion in fraudulent payments is stunning.

Pallister -- I know you're being sarcastic, but that's who is really to blame. Bush started this whole mess by appointing a cronie to head FEMA.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Still haven't got that humor thing nailed down, I see.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Someone's still cranky after a night of sleep, I see.

Back to the subject. No defending the appointment, but bureaucratic fraud and mismanagement, unlike Brownie, will never go away, regardless of who's running the show. Greed and incompetence are truly bipartisan.

Now I'll let this thread play out in its inevitable direction.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Being able to buy booze and Girls Gone Wild videos with your FEMA assistance check is what makes this country great.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

There's a lot about government that simply doesn't work. It's unfortunate our elected officials spend their time bickering instead of fixing things.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

surprisingly (to me, at least) congress actually has a good idea for how to start fixing this problem. the first step is to take FEMA out from under homeland security. as it is now, homeland security has no problem sucking money in and out of FEMA at will. but if FEMA is its own department, it will have a little more autonomy. i realize it was its own department before DHS came along, but it's obvious that this model has failed.

not that the reorganization would stop this kind of fraud, but it's a start.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'll agree with that. But there comes a point when the senior leadership is so clueless that it damages the entire organization. That's when happened when Brownie took over.

I also realize there will always be some misuse of funds in any government endeavor and that the government will not get it all back. But just as stunning as the $1.4 billion figure is to me is the fact that it could be up to 16 percent of what was issued.

1-3 percent I could accept, but 16 percent is just plain criminal.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Right. Because, you know, you're not here desperately trying to push it into some sort of partisan argument. Noooooo, you're above all that, as proven by your two posts here.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

At least you understand, Dog. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted