1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shock news of the day: LSU fans drink a lot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 5, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I loved the headline on this story: "You can't spell Lush without L-S-U"

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424052970203471004577141180847382556.html?mod=rss_Sports

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this on the board before, but I always liked the line from the SI writer many years ago that LSU fans get so liquored up before the game that they "will boo the invocation."

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The way TV has taken over college football the past 15 years or so has meant fewer and fewer true night games in Tiger Stadium. When LSU slumped for a bit in the late 90s and early 2000s, it was suggested that the increase in day games was part of the problem. The theory was, the fans didn't have as much time to get hammered and thus weren't as rowdy, negating some of LSU's homefield advantage.
    I firmly believe there's some credence to the idea.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Probably the same reason that soccer fans get liquored up - little scoring.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

LSU played Northwestern State and Western Kentucky at night this season. All other home games were during the day and they destroyed Auburn, Arkansas, Kentucky and Florida.

I think part of it is, now CBS gets first choice for a 2:30 game. Before the most recent stretch, LSU was likely to be a dog in that game and favorites in more night games, which include the ESPN 6:30 game, but also all those non-conference gimmes like WKU and Northwestern State.

So you'd compare the record of day vs. night at home and you'd conclude they were better at night. Really, they just play a tougher day schedule.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The team that hung 70 on the ACC Champion last night disagrees.

Draft saved Draft deleted