1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shirt in or out? Men?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

How is it rebellious to dress the way 70 percent of the guys do at the nearest mall? I take it you're being a little facetious, but I'm trying to make a point. Once a fashion has reached a point that characters on a sit-com have adopted it, it's no longer a personal statement of any kind to adhere to it. Of course, the latest GQ says it expects the fashion industry to next be heavily influenced by the TV show "Mad Men" and notes that American men never looked better than they did then. I am skeptical that the classic look will become mainstream, though, because I think most people will see it as too much effort, although as I said earlier, it is actually less effort to stick to the classics because then you'll never have to pay attention to "fashion." To some this may be conformity, but to me it is the ultimate sartorial rebellion because we're basically saying to fashion designers and wannabe hipsters that they're irrelevant, we don't even acknowledge their latest efforts.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Lands End suggestion, Boom.

Sears Canada sells a limited range of Lands End stuff. And now that the loonie and the US dollar are at par, I can afford to buy stuff from the States--except for the extortionary international shipping rates from these pirates at Fedex and UPS.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dead on - My pet peeve is width of ties. I won't change mine reguardless of what the designers tell me.

If you want good tips on style read the monthly Glen O'brien style column in GQ. He will rarely steer you wrong.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what "classic" is?

Two button suits? Three button? Vest? No vest?

Cuffed trousers?

Pleats? No pleats?

Fedora?

Button down shirts?

Rep ties? Bow ties?

Windsor knot? Four in hand?

Navy blazer?

Grey flannels?

Some people would say Polo is classic. Some would say British U-class private men's club wannabe.

Some would say Armani is classic. Others would say, "too European".

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like some things I consider classic - button-down pinpoint Oxfords, wing tips, the half Windsor knot.
    But I like some things that are definitly knot classic. I prefer a sack-cut jacket to a European cut, for example.

6. Boom_70

In the words of Potter Stewert when it comes to classic I know it when I see it.

7. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Depends on the style of shirt and what you're wearing it with. And in my humble opinion, it also depends on how big your gut is.

8. Boom_70

21 looks great in my button downs - very classic look.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Yes, I think that about covers it. I would consider the sack cut -- undarted, little or no shoulder padding, three buttons but the lapel roll rendering the top button unusable -- an American classic.

10. Just curious, Frank. Since you're not a slave to the latest fashions, why do you read GQ?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Or you could call it retro.

It was cutting edge fashion in the 60's and was a reaction to the big boxy baggy suits of the 50's.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

They write about lots of things besides fashion. Sports and politics and music and movies and food, even.

Draft saved Draft deleted