1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shirt in or out? Men?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 18, 2007.

1. I enjoy the comfortable professional look myself. Khakis, a button-down shirt, modest tie and soft-sole leather shoes when I go out to cover something. No blazer, no coat, no high-shine shoes, no dress slacks. It's just habit from working on the news side so long, and it looks good on me. On the day I stay in and build, jeans and a T-shirt. To each his own as long as you're taken seriously.

However, if you're wearing a jersey or headband to cover stuff, fuck off and never come back.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I buy the long-tailed shirts, always tuck them in and pull the extra out of my pants fly.

3. Wow. I disagree with this. I like that look. Feel like it completes your ensemble. Plus, it's functional, particularly during the fall and winter. You never know what the temp is going to be like in a football press box or basketball arena.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That appears to be the opinion of most of my lady friends, as well.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Late to thread, but here are my 38-year-old, white, rules:

At work, always tuck in your shirt. Button down, Ping golf shirt, CK dress shirt, it does not matter, tuck it in and wear a belt.

At a nice place to eat or church you need to use work rules. Think business casual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_casual

On my own time, I never tuck in my shirt. Polos, tshirts, even retros (which I do not own) you leave untucked.

Now that I think about it, I never seem to wear a button down as a casual dress item.

6. One thing I, the OP, wanted to add.

Nothing looks worse to me than a tucked in shirt that looks like a man has a parachute opening on his back. Or like there's a blower in there.

Is this just a result of cheap manufacturing? Bad fit?

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I second that one. Forget the shirt, go shirtless.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

If I'm wearing pants, I tuck.

If not, untucked.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

major factor is shirt pants combo - for example t-shirt and cargo pants look much better untucked. Button downs and cargo pants just do not go together.

-never tuck Tommy Bahamma style shirts - it looks really goofy.

- As opposed to button down shirts I am a big fan of casmere V-neck sweaters - untucked . You can wear them with t-shirt underneath and still look dressy yet casual

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I agree with Boom about cashmere sweaters.

If I could afford it, I'd have a closet full of them.

But Boom, I've never seen anyone tuck in a sweater. Do you normally?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It really is dictated by the situation, which dictates the clothes.
    If left to my own devices, I dress like the world's worst slob, but much of life dictates that I dress otherwise.
    And for the record, button-down refers to the shirt's collar. Not every shirt that has buttons down the front is a 'button-down' shirt.
    And speaking of shirt styles, button-down is my prefered style, when I can't wear any old T-shirt, sweatshirt or flannel. I've just always liked the look - simply, white, button-down-collar, pinpoint Oxford. It's the world's greatest shirt style.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No I won't tuck V-neck. I do have some long sleave 3 button polo style cashmere's that I will tuck when wearing sports jacket.

In way of tip Lands End has very good casmere sweaters at 1/3 of price you would pay at Saks or Neiman.

Draft saved Draft deleted