1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shirley to Haiti: 'Use a condom!'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Jan 27, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wait. Was Eight Mile filmed in Haiti and not Detroit?

(10 points to those who get that.)

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

ESPN won't be donating any more money to Shirley:

http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/01/27/espn-cuts-ties-with-paul-shirley-over-controversial-haiti-remark/?icid=main|aim|dl1|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fbackporch.fanhouse.com%2F2010%2F01%2F27%2Fespn-cuts-ties-with-paul-shirley-over-controversial-haiti-remark%2F

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hate Haiti haters.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Wow, a Papa Doc joke. Well played.

Maybe Shirley got rejected by Samuel Dalembert one too many times.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nice!

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Care to quote when I said that?

Actually, it goes back quite further than that, dating back to the times of thomas Jefferson who placed an economic embargo against the country in FEAR that the spirit of freedom Haitian sailors felt after liberating themselves, would infect American slaves.

Also, after the slaves defeated the French, Napoleon demanded REPARATIONS of the equivalent of $30 Billion from Haiti and demanded an embargo of Haiti if they did not pay up. The French knew they will get support of other European countries because they were all involved in the slave trade. These countries set out to show other slaves what will happen to them if they also had a successful revolt. Almost every country signed up to embargo Haiti. Elements of that embargo persist up to today. Haiti, in order to trade was then forced to borrow monies from many of these same countries at astronomical rates that they could never repay and will always remain in poverty trying to pay it off whilst the above named countries went about telling everyone how generous they were to Haiti.

Also, The Bank of NY, now called Citibank that bought the Bank of Haiti, turning the entire country in to our little investment, which we were then compelled to protect by putting our military there.

There are so many things UNIQUE to Haiti that your "other latin american nations" drivel doesn't apply here.

So what I'm telling you is to shut the fukk up.

You know nothing about Haitian history and why the country is in the current state they're in.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Call me crazy, but it's hard for a government to be in charge when a significant amount of the people you'd normally depend on at ground level are DEAD. It's also hard to be in charge when the infrastructure of the nation is either in tatters due to the earthquake or too small to handle the kind of relief efforts necessary for this kind of tragedy.

It's not worth it to address your rambling nonsense about Haiti's history, so try harder to understand the present.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think the condom comment was a reference to Haiti's HIV rate. I believe it's the highest in the world outside of Africa.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's always nice to see some smug middle-aged white guy---likely from the comfort of a gated community---lecturing the poorest people in the world about their plight

But then Hondo covers golf so it's even more pathetic

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Bill Simmons essentially created Shirley's readership a few years ago by repeatedly directing his readers to his supposely hilarious blog journal about life as an NBA benchwarmer and overseas player--which then got him a book deal. Who knew then that he was such a soulless douchebag.

I love hearing a guy who's never had a real job in his life beyond being an overpaid backup stiff center and overhyped shitty writer tell those lazy ass Haitians that they got what they deserved.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

First of all, you don't get to tell me to shut the F up.

Second, you've cited several items of Haiti's history that happened a very long time ago. The slave revolt was 300 years ago. Thomas Jefferson was our third president.
    And the U.S. Military, except for rescue missions such as now, has not occupied Haiti since 1935.
    Try to do better next time.
    And your implication at the top was that I had to be an expert on Haiti to comment. Feel free to give me your credentials on the matter.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What you call rambling nonsense is merely something you don't want to hear.

Draft saved Draft deleted