1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shirley to Haiti: 'Use a condom!'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Jan 27, 2010.

1. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

"Can I keep my jersey?" was the name of the book he wrote.

Sounds like his exposure is getting to his head.

Nice job, d-bag

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Tommy Craggs from Deadspin had some funny Twitter posts on it. I think ESPN has sacked Shirley as a part-time writer (He writes about music now). This is a lesson to the freelance contrarian writers among us: Have someone edit or at least glance at your shit before you blow your career.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

He is. And don't call him Surely.

4. SigR

SigR Member

Is he a pos for saying what he said, or for the manner he said it? While he was lacking some tact, it is nice to hear the opposite of the politically-correct position on something from time to time.

What does rebuilding Haiti do for it if we don't question the way they've chosen to exist?

Politically, the United States can't turn away from Haiti. But please let's not kid ourselves into the belief that we're saving something worth saving.

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

why don't you speak on his belief that somehow Haitians are at fault for being victims of an earthquake or give us a detailed account on the Haitian history he spoke on.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He made a few good points such as:
    At what point does Haiti's government take responsibility for anything?
    And if not, at what point does Haiti's citizens have a responsibility to get a government in there that will?
    Yes, Haiti has some awful dictators. So did a lot of Latin American countries, and the people got rid of them in many cases. There's no logical reason I can think of for why Haiti shouldn't be another Caribbean paradise flush with tourist dollars.

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

At what point did you do your research to find out what the Haitian government is currently doing or not doing?

And please, give me a detailed account on your expertise of Haitian history.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So, you're blaming the Haitians for not being able to overthrow their brutal dictatorship?

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Damn Haitians living in poverty. How dare they?

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Kissing Suzy Kolber weighs in:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2010/01/ksk-celebrity-pickakke-paul-shirley.html

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I've been very surprised (and dismayed) at what seems like a backlash or should I say 'Beck-lash' on Haiti with a general knee-jerk reactionary theme of "why don't you help America instead?"

I'm a United Methodist, and my conference (it's like a synod or archdiocese) has spent decades and many, many dollars supporting and educating people about Haiti well before it became a cause celebre. Several people I know have actually been there. It really grinds my gears to think that aiding a destitute country on its knees is such a big issue.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Typical reaction. Don't give this crap that I need a PHD in Haitian history before I can comment. If that was the requirement, very few people on SportsJournalists.com would be competent enough to comment on ANYTHING. The failure of Haiti to have any kind of responsible government goes back at at least to Jean-Claude Duvalier (Papa Doc) and his son (Baby Doc). They were brutal dictators and sacked the country. Terrible thing. I do know people have overthrown brutal governments throughout the world's history.
    No one, including Paul Shirley, has suggested earthquakes and hurricanes are anyone's fault. But the preparation for such disasters, and the local response, is certainly within the reach and scope of any responsible government.
    And as far as the current Haitian government, it's been documented that when relief workers and our military got there, they found very few people who seemed to be in charge.

Draft saved Draft deleted