1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shirley Sherrod/Andrew Breitbart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe I was just bored, but it seemed like that's where you were heading with your previous posts.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not at all. Just suggesting that it was a clumsy speech for a Federal Govt employee to give. My bet is that the Obama administration was more upset about the overall content than the flash point farmer story.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My apologies then. I guess I really was just bored ;D

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Here is what I think: The Obama administration and the "mainstream media" need to stop letting disingenuous, corrosive shitheads set the agenda for what must be responded to/apologized for. I nearly lost my lunch over Bob Schieffer -- an actual respected journalist -- having to explain why he interviewed the attorney general of the United States and didn't ask about some bullshit Fox News hobby horse of a story.
    Schieffer was much more gracious than I would have been. My answer there would be: "I don't ask questions just to fulfill some partisan talk show host's political agenda."
    And if I'm Obama and somebody asks me to fire one of my people over something a scumbag like Andrew Breitbart comes up with, my answer would be, "kindly go fuck yourself."
    This administration needs to figure out that it is not engaging in a reasoned debate with well-intentioned opponents. It's at war with people whose objective is not the betterment of America, but the defeat/discrediting of Democrats.
    Obama was elected President of the United States, not to shrink government or apologize for "black racism" (really a serious, pervasive problem, yeah, right), but to get the government working to help people again. Anything that distracts from that goal, he needs to ignore. And he needs to forget his fantasy that reasonable people on the other side will help him get things done. With this issue, as with so many others the past two years, we see that is not the opposition's agenda. It is "find something that can make this guy look bad." Over and over and over.
    There. Now I feel better.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the Obama Admin. has made it pretty clear they didn't spend a lot of time reviewing the speech before coming to their initial decision. My impression is that the WH didn't want this story to distract from the Wall Street reform bill signing today so they tried to make it a one-day story. They failed on both counts.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.mediaite.com/online/shep-smith-takes-on-discredited-website-and-even-this-network-over-sherrod/

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good for Shep Smith. Hope he can find work.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I believe it was, and it's what he said on the Today Show. (I think that's where he said it.)

The video was in response to claims from the NAACP that the Tea Party was drawing racists to it's rallies.

It was about the response of the audience (who cheered before she got to the end).

Now, I didn't follow this story until the Obama administration made it into national news by demanding that she pull over to the side of the road and submit her resignation by Blackberry, so maybe I'm wrong, but did Breitbart call for her resignation? Did Glenn Beck? Did FoxNews?

No. I don't believe any of them did.

But the NAACP did. The Obama administration did.

Who was she mad at by the way? I heard her express anger towards the USDA official and towards Roland Martin of CNN.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering why she was driving and talking on the phone.

10. YankeeFan

The media -- and government officials -- were investigating "Joe" immediately (illegally in the case of the government employees).

Give me a break. I'm no more partisan than anyone else here -- just on the opposite side of most.

Give me some examples where I used falsities to make a point. (And when I've had facts wrong, like some on this thread, I've admitted it.)

No real quibble. He is what he is. These guys -- right or left -- thrive on hits, on controversy, on having their posts commented on by other blogs, tweeted, and if they're lucky, picked up by the mainstream media.

I don't think anyone claimed he was the next Walter Chronkite. But he's no worse than any number of folks on the left.

100% right.

11. YankeeFan

Gotta say that I agree with Boom on this.

I don't like -- and I would hope the administration doesn't like -- the message that you can go work for the federal government and never have to worry about getting laid off.

It's a horrible message.

No discussion of public service. No talk about the good work you can do, about the impact you can have.

It's actually disgraceful.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

His point was to play "Gotcha!" with the administration by any means necessary. In this case, it was by promoting a highly-edited video clip and trashing a woman's life.

The Weekly Standard is correct, he owes her an apology. As does the White House and NAACP.

But I have a better shot at hitting the PowerBall this weekend than she does of getting that scumbag Breitbart* to apologize.

* - He is a scumbag not specifically for this. But for cheering the demise of traditional media while using it as a foundation on his own site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.