1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shirley Sherrod/Andrew Breitbart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Huh ? She gave the speech this past March.

You are no better than the media who ran with altered tape yesterday.

Get your facts straight.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

The situation she refers to in the speech happened in 1986, which is probably what Dan meant. There's really no reason to be a jerk, Boom.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

1. That was a bullshit move by Breitbart.
    2. No matter how the WH spins this, they look bad. Period. End of story.

Now, the WH is throwing Vilsack under the bus as a CYA for themselves: http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2010/07/21/vilsack-under-fire-from-right-and-left/

This was one of those times in which Vilsack could have told the WH "Whoa, wait a minute here. Don't you think we need to talk to her first and get her to explain those quotes from 25 years ago?"

Instead, fucking "groupthink" and pulling the trigger too fast came back to bite them in the ass. The same goes to the NAACP for piling on her. She has accepted the apologies, however if I was her, I would have told the NAACP and the WH to fuck themselves behind a mountain.

Mitch Albom is on line 3...

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I deleted the post. I was wrong. She should have realized someone out there would try and make her look like a racist by selectively editing a video of her speech, whether in 1986 or last March.

5. Boom_70

Read the quote first then come back to me:

"I'm sure if she thought in 1986, when she gave the speech, that someone would try and take down the NAACP with an edited version of her remarks 24 years later she would have been more careful.

6. Boom_70

Again - the speech was given March 27 2010.

Here is another gem:

"You know, I haven't seen such a mean-spirited people as I've seen lately over this issue of health care. Some of the racism we thought was buried. Didn't it surface? Now, we endured eight years of the Bush's and we didn't do the stuff these Republicans are doing because you have a black President."

7. Boom_70

Another:

"In Rural Development, there are 129 employees and guess how many of them are people of color? Anybody want to take a guess? That's in Georgia. I got -- there are 129 in my agency. How many? It's more than two. Little more than 12. There are less than 20 of us. We have six area offices in the State and subarea offices offices and when I look at who's coming up the line in the agencies -- in the agency, there are not many of us, 'cause we think agriculture is a bad word. We think it's working in the fields. Some of the best paying jobs you ever want to have, okay? "

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Boom, I admitted I was wrong about the 1986 thing.

I don't get why you think what she said is so bad. She complained that you never hear of someone in federal govt. losing their job (sounds like a Tea Party member). She is encouraging people to work in agriculture because the pay is good (Sounds like a capitalist).

9. Boom_70

I see how you became misinformed. You better let Football bat know to correct his post. ;)

As far as speech I understand what she was trying to say but in the context of being a federal official it was ill conceived. Too many of her statements could be easily be misconstrued and turn into a political embarrassment for the Obama administration. She let the cat out of the bag on a lot of things that I'm sure Obama would not want out there for public consumption.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How is that quote racist? Substitute "journalism" for "agriculture," and "small newspapers" for "agencies," and you have a quote that largely reflects why so few minorities are in the top end of our own business.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And defamation of character. Even with libel as tough as it is to prove, a media law class could take this on as an end of semester project and win.

12. Boom_70

Where did I suggest that quote was racist?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.