1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shirley Sherrod/Andrew Breitbart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/07/21/agriculture.employee.usda/index.html?hpt=T1

I hope she sues Breitbart and bankrupts the guy.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Once again, we as an industry are complacent in this sort of fiasco.

In the rush to be first on the Web, or at least not too far behind those who are, research and contemplation have flown the coop.

Discussions that should take place in newsrooms before stories are published are less important than getting the stories out there.

It's going to take some guts and some major changes in news policies for us to get any credibility back.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

She was on a 3-hour drive in Georgia and got a phone call that said she should pull over and resign. Jumping the gun a little? The White House didn't even get an explanation? A 1:00 clip of a 45:00 speech is played and no one asks for a full rendering of the speech, transscription, or even asks her what she said? Bad job of course by Breitbart, but a real bad job by the administraiton.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What could she possibly sue him for? Did he fire her?

It was the Obama administration that fired this woman before gathering the facts.

And good for her for fighting back against them.

The 24 Hour News Cycle strikes again.

No one fact checked this story.

5. YankeeFan

BTW, Breitbart's point was that audience cheered her story when it sounded like she was telling a story about "sticking it to the white man".

They didn't wait until it became a "story of redemption" before cheering.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

There's really no way for the administration to fix this. And if I were Sherrod, I'd tell them where to shove it if they called and offered me my job back.

This makes two bogus stories Breitbart has successfully peddled. Maybe next time, the real media won't be so quick to hitch their wagons to this bum steer with an agenda.

Here's a thoughtful take from a thoughtful conservative on this:

http://theweek.com/bullpen/column/205190/shirley-sherrod-and-the-shame-of-conservative-media

When people talk of the "closing of the conservative mind" this is what they mean: not that conservatives are more narrow-minded than other people — everybody can be narrow minded — but that conservatives have a unique capacity to ignore unwelcome fact.

7. YankeeFan

You know, it's funny what happens when regular people step into the spotlight.

"Joe the Plumber" gets famous when Obama walks down the street and he asks Obama a question.

The press jumped on him. Investigated him. His privacy was criminally violated by government employees.

This woman becomes famous when a one minute clip is aired on the web. The NAACP & the Obama administration, in a rush to stay ahead of the news cycle, throw her under the bus.

Now, the media is rushing in to rescue her.

Then, there are the three people who appeared with Obama at the unemployment insurance extension press conference. I've not read any independent reports of their situation.

Obama may have describe it 100% accurately, but I find it interesting that they have not been "investigated" to the same degree as a citizen who asked a simple question.

These three made a conscious decision to appear with him. They entered the fray willingly (unlike "Joe").

So will the press independently verify their stories?

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Joe the Plumber became a name when John McCain started using him as a prop representing everyday Americans. Sammy could have told him to pound sand, but instead wanted to become a celebrity, and in doing so, became a public figure. But facts have never ever stopped you from seeing a double standard and partisan bias.

That Breitbart is shirking responsibility is disingenuous, and exposes him for what he is: more of a hack than a legit source of news. Hopefully at this point our colleagues can do more to verify any of the drivel he posts, and ignore it until it checks out. His carelessness isn't even Drudge-worthy.

And shame on the Obama admin for cowardly jumping the gun and being used. That's a rookie league mistake they made, and in the end, they cut off their foot because they stubbed their toe. Huge overreaction.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Libel perhaps?

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I'm guessing some media lawyers are working on this pro-bono even as we speak.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was reading NewsBusters today and found Brent Bozell's column criticizing the mainstream media for not jumping on the story when the video came out pretty funny.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, that wasn't Breitbart's point. Not at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.