1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shipping a car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Life, Jul 27, 2009.

1. The Life

The Life Member

I have to move across the country and I'm trying to figure out the best way to move my car. Anybody know of a reliable, affordable car-shipping service?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You could drive it. Or pay a buddy to drive it. Cheaper than shipping it, I'm sure.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Or you could sell it and buy a different one. I know that sounds nuts, but I'm sure people do it.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That is nuts. You'll usually lose your shirt financially.

I know someone who wanted a Corvette shipped. Cost her $2,000 - probably wasn't worth it.

Drive it yourself, or if time and logistics make that difficult, see if you have a friend who has nothing better to do for a few days. Seriously ... a one-way plane ticket, meals and gasoline might be cheaper.

5. The Life

The Life Member

Yeah but I have to drive the UHaul instead.

6. Sam Mills 51

U-Haul usually has trailers to rent behind their trucks which can get all four wheels off the ground. Not cheap, but a great deal compared to having it professionally shipped. Never mind that you would have an alternative should the truck fail.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're driving a U-Haul across the US? Good luck

Have you factored in a couple of days of breakdown time?

Toronto Star did a story a few years back indicating that almost half of U-haul vehicles in Ontario were not road-safe,

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My U-Haul ended up safely at my new home...on the back of a tow truck.

I think it was the LA Times that had a big series on U-Hauls a few years ago, and car trailer stories were among the tales of death and dismembering.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No. No. A thousand times no.

That will be the WORST drive of your life.

Those trucks don't go very fast, and that trailer will whip around back there. And that breakdown danger is very real.

Not to mention those trucks get about 8 mpg, which over a 2,500-mile drive would work out to 312 gallons of fuel. Consider that, oh, $800 the down payment on getting your car to where you need to go ANY. OTHER. WAY.

10. Sam Mills 51

I agree, but paying for a professional to haul the vehicle won't be much better. The good ones are too pricey (unless we're talking about a serious collector's item of a vehicle) and anything below that has been known to scar and ding up a vehicle in transport. Think your machine will be shrink-wrapped and styrofoamed in the right places the way a new vehicle is on a hauler?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sounds like it will be cheaper to drive the U-Haul then fly back to get your car and drive that across. Or pay a friend to drive the car and buy him a plane ticket home.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe you should ship via commercial carrier the stuff you're planning to stuff into the U-Haul and drive the car. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted