1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She's Gone: RIP Samson

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Mar 1, 2012.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

On Monday evening, I got an e-mail from my father's partner that our cat was fading fast and had a matter of days left. When I read the e-mail, I had a sense that Samson's last day would be Wednesday (my day off).

This morning, I checked my e-mails on my phone and found out that Samson died last night. She was 14.

At the end of her life, she developed diabetes and was eating and drinking voraciously. She would struggle to go up or down stairs she used to be able to zoom up or down. I housesat for my parents a couple of weeks ago and I saw her in a feeble state, although she still showed a little bit of life when she would go after her Temptations treats.

She was one of very few pets in my life that loved all the people who lived there. There were some pets who liked one person or another, but not me, or pets who liked two of us but not all three of us. Samson loved us all. And now she's gone.

It was NOT fun being at work today. I felt as though I was one misspoken comment from just going off on someone. This fucking sucks.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

You and your family are in my thoughts. Losing a pet is an awful thing to go through.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That sucks dude :( Cats are amazing creatures - I just got a hand-me-down cat a couple months ago from my sister. The thing just turned 18, and outside of an over-active thyroid, got a clean bill of health from the vet. This is even though he was shot with a BB gun at some point, and the pellet is still lodged in the lining of his stomach.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It hurts more than a little bit, f_t. No doubt about it.

If there is any consolation, remind yourself that Samson's not in pain anymore. And that she was loved more than a lot of animals are. Sounds like she had a pretty darn good life.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I frequently tell our daughter that my goal is to come back as one of her cats.

FT, Samson loved all of her humans, and was loved by them. Would that we all could say as much.

I hope your mourning is leavened by happy memories.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. It's been a rough couple of days to be sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted