1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sherlock on BBC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, May 29, 2012.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm a HUGE fan. I enjoyed the Robert Downey take on Sherlock, then this came along and I can't even bring myself to watch the now-considered-hackneyed film versions. A few notes:

• There will indeed be a third season, but we're going to wait a long time for it. Some details have already started coming out, as far as storyline goes, but because of other commitments by the actors and producers, S3 isn't scheduled to begin filming until early 2013. That means fall 2013 for BBC airing and spring 2014 for PBS.

• The series one DVD is interesting as hell. On it, there is the original 60-minute pilot they took to BBC, who loved it so much they asked them to rework into 90-minute format. In the OP, there is no mention of Mycroft, Holmes is less anti-social and it's a lot less tech-savvy. Thank God they reworked it. Even missing the really great touches like text graphics helping point out Holmes' deductions.

• I truly hope Moriarty's suicide was faked as well (though how, Lord knows). Love the manic, very disturbed way the actor has portrayed him. (Holmes: "Catch... you... later." Moriarty, in sing-song voice: "No you won't!")

2. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I'm going to have to go by the library on the way home and see if they have the first season on DVD so I can check it out.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't think the real Moriarty has outed himself yet.

4. Killick

Yeah, even the ending is a bit different. The cabbie doesn't lure Sherlock out with the promise of a puzzle. No Mycroft there to tell an aid to increase surveillance on Holmes and Watson (Lastrade says it, with doesn't give it the same weight). The reworking just ends up being more gritty, more weighty. Much better. Can see why BBC loved it, though. The foundation was clearly there.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

93, when you watch The Blind Banker and The Great Game, you find that most of the plotlines have been masterminded by Moriarty. I have no doubt that that is him.

Incidentally, Andrew Scott, who portrays Moriarty, won the BAFTA for supporting actor on Sunday. Martin Freeman won last season's award for S1. I was rooting for Martin because his performance in The Reichenbach Fall was SO POWERFUL, but I'm not shocked that they went with Andrew.

And yes, huge huge fan. Now if only Cumberbatch will finish filming Star Trek 2 and Martin comes back from New Zealand, maybe we'll get more episodes. ;D

Also, I would have been mad if that had been the series finale. I must know how Sherlock managed what he did in the S2 finale.

6. 93Devil

Which makes me think he masterminded the last villain, who the writer did say he was an actor with an IMDB profile. Basically, I am holding out hope that Sherlock still has someone to battle wits with in the show.

7. Killick

Cumberbatch is headed to New Zealand, too. He's Smaug and the Necomancer. And, according to imdb, he's rumored for another project before S3... and I swear to god, I'll kill him if he does. Working title "Phoenix," also starring

Liv Tyler.

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

8. Based on this thread, I watched Episode 1 last night ... Love it!

9. 93Devil

Hopefully I will have a chance to watch Episode 2 tonight.

I have watched the first episode twice, and there are a ton of things I missed in the dialogue due to the fast talking and quick responses.

10. Killick

"... and judging by the state of her knees, she was scrubbIng your floors."

Zing!

11. 93Devil

John Watson: [upon first seeing Baker Street] Well this is a prime spot. Must be expensive.
    Sherlock Holmes: Mrs. Hudson, the landlady is giving me a special deal. She owes me a favor. A few years back her husband got himself sentenced to death in Florida. I was able to help out.
    John Watson: You stopped her husband from being executed?
    Sherlock Holmes: Oh, no. I ensured it.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sherlock_(TV_series)

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Digging this up a bit -- since I just finished watching S2. Loved the finale, though I really thought the episode with The Woman (A Scandal in Belgravia) was the best of the bunch. Just an amazing episode.
    In the Sherlock books, I know that Sherlock simply comes back from his fall and explains to Watson that he had to fake his death because Moriarty's agents would have killed others if he didn't (love how true the show kept to that), but IIRC, he explain he faked his own death by falling on to a lower ledge on the cliff. Interested to see how he explains the machinations of faking this death.
    But can anyone who has more knowledge of the Sherlock books than I do (I've only read a few) answer -- what happened to Moriarty after the Final Problem? Was he gone for good?

Draft saved Draft deleted