1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sherlock on BBC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, May 29, 2012.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b018ttws

Has anyone else watched this show? Dre has, but I am wondering if any other SJers have watched this remake.

It might be the best mystery/detective show I have ever seen.

Netflix streaming currently has the first season (three 90-minute episodes), and I have yet to watch the second and third episodes, but I did finish the second season that recently aired on PBS.

It also might the cleverest show I have seen in revamping a old character into a modern setting, and the show does a fantastic job mixing modern technology into the story.

I also don't want to give too much away, but I have a feeling a major villain was not really a major villain or we will see that villain again in the third season.

So who else has seen the show?

2. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I own the first season, which of course I really like. The second season (which I haven't seen yet) comes out on DVD next week.

I had never seen Benedict Cumberbatch in anything before Sherlock, but he is an excellent choice. Martin Freeman is more well-known in the States and he was a great casting choice too.

3. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Not trying to say you're old or anything with this statement, but my mom (who's a retired high school English teacher and a HUGE Sherlock Holmes nut) really likes it and raved about it to me in a letter she wrote me a couple of weeks ago (Yes, she still writes me letters. She does e-mail, but also writes and who am I to say anything if that's what my mom wants to do?).
    I've read pretty much all of the stuff Conan Doyle wrote and even some of the pastiches, and I think I might try to check it out when I get some time.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I saw the first season and loved it. Waiting for Season 2 to pop into Netflix.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is an awesome program.

6. 93Devil

I have a big theory for the third season, and I don'tthink I am giving too much away, but I have a feeling Mylock is known by another name.

7. I'm waiting for a little free time to open up and I'll rent it from the library. But I'v heard nothing but great things about the show.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Do you mean Mycroft? I would doubt that as even though they have updated the stories, they still keep the general outlines of the stories and characters from the books.

9. 93Devil

Where in the world did I get Mylock from? I do think they will keep the general characters, but I think they will twist some things.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Good show. Shares the same limits as the original stories, in that the plots and events are the weakest link and you hang around for A) the Holmes/Watson relationship and B) the long deductive/inductive explanations as to how Holmes came to know something.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

As much as I love the show, I feel like the end of season 2 could have been the show finale. I'm a little worried with how they'll start it back up and move forward in the next season. Cumberbatch and Freeman are so good, though. I'm assuming Freeman will get some awards for his work, especially in the final episode.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In the books and the old movies, Sherlock just seems smarter than everyone else. He's kind of boring.

This Sherlock is brilliant but his shortcomings and interactions with others are a lot more interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted