1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shell reports record profits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Include me out of that group, thanks.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Actually, just the second time. The Supreme Court and the Florida elections board took care of the first time. And he got trounced both times in my state.

So no more of this collective "we" shit, kemosabe.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

According to the Energy Information Administration, here are the 10 leading exporters of crude oil to the U.S. (in millions of barrels per day) for February 2008:

CANADA 1,920
    SAUDI ARABIA 1,614
    MEXICO 1,231
    NIGERIA 982
    VENEZUELA 945
    IRAQ 780
    ANGOLA 341
    KUWAIT 261
    COLOMBIA 220
    ALGERIA 191

I'll be the first to say I had no idea Canada was at the top of the list.

4. Grimace

Grimace Guest

You're the reason that we're always going to have gas/oil addiction problems. You think the solution is just one drill site away from $1 gas, yay! It's not.

And "buy time until research leads to a better solution" is just silly. We've been waiting around for some innovation for the last 100 years and we haven't gotten it. What makes you think we're going to invent some magic fuel in the next 5-10 years?

We have to have a fundamental change to the way we think about transportation and oil consumption in this country. Anything else is just a short-term fix.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Fractious polity, corrupt money culture, lazy media, complicit electorate, unsettled border, indifference and apathy, the Constitution hanging by a nut hair ... these didn't happen overnight, just as the fat man doesn't wake up one day at 513 pounds.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Anyone have any idea what Shell's profit margin is?

8.81%

I think that's pretty respectable. Much lower than any newspaper I've ever heard of.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Are you this fucking dense on purpose?

Nowhere did I say we needed, or even could, drill to the point until gas is a $1 a gallon.

I'll type even slower since you still can't keep up.

Demand for oil is at an all-time high.

We have access to oil. We should be drilling to help meet demand.

It won't be available overnight but that's no reason not to drill. If we had opened ANWR 15 years ago, we would have been pumping out of there for four years now and it would most certainly have an effect on the price despite your Chicken Little beliefs.

We need to find ways to cut back on our dependence on oil, whether it is an increase in mass transit, alternative fuels, telecommuting or any other method, or combination of them, that we can think of.

Doing that - combined with an increased supply - lowers costs.

Is this concept really that fucking tough to figure out?

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yeah, because Grimace is the one that brought the discourse down...
    Just to hammer the point further, since it is clear you are missing it:
    Oil is a commodity that is traded on the open market. It matters fuck all how much is found right now since people are bidding the barrels up regardless.

Now, in some crazy scenario the commodities price goes down because of the increase in production (which is certainly possible), the increase in production is only temporary. It isn't a permanent fix because the entire US will not be able to live off of that oil for infinity.

This means the problems that we have now will crop up again. It could be 1-year. It could be 5-years.

Your idea is to drill now and then pass the problem on to the next generation. Essentially, instead of coming to a resolution on what to do about our energy crisis, you put a bandaid on it and wash your hands.
    What you seem to miss is that there is no need to look for an alternative when there is no demand for an alternative. That is why no alternative has really been looked into until now.

Nobody purchased the hybrids for years. Now all of a sudden everybody wants one. The hybrids, in the last few years, have really increased in technology. This is due to research caused by demand.

If oil was cheaper there would be no demand for a more fuel efficient vehicle.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

People are purchasing hybrids because they're supposed to be "greener" when, in fact, they aren't. Much like biofuels are supposed to be the fuel of the future even though the production of it eats up more fuel and it drives up the cost of food.

We cannot continue to handcuff ourselves with regards to oil OR alternative fuels. To say we can't work on the latter if we keep drilling for the former is just ridiculous.

The search for alternatives has been going on for decades and it is not going to end if we start pumping oil out of ANWR, suspend the gas tax or open the SPR.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

1) How are hybrids less "green?"
    2) Hybrid's fuel efficiency is the number 1 reason for buying right now.
    3) I never mentioned bio-fuels.

Again, none of what you wrote addresses the simple fact that oil is a commodity. It is traded on the open market. When the price on the market goes up, the price at the pump goes up. Drilling in ANWR changes nothing. At its best it puts off a current problem onto the future.

It is an arrogant plan built on selfishness.

11. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

Good lord. That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I was wondering if you actually proofread your posts. Now I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted